The Cheney Energy Task Force
What the Documents Reveal
Before turning over the energy task force records to NRDC, the Bush administration removed extensive portions of information. Some pages were empty. Whole strings of correspondence were stripped to just a few words.
Yet even with this censorship the records reveal that industry lobbyists not only played a pivotal role in developing the administration's national energy strategy, they wrote much of it themselves. The administration sought the advice of polluting corporations early and often and then incorporated their recommendations into its policy, sometimes verbatim.
The following pages, while a tiny sampling of the task force records, illustrate both the influence industry lobbyists wielded and the degree to which the Bush administration continues to try to cloak the task force's proceedings in secrecy.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Efficient Appliances Save Energy -- and Money
- A consumer's guide to buying energy efficient appliances and electronics.