Premature Mortality Due to Particulate Air Pollution in 239 American Cities
Top of Report
Minnesota: Particulate Air Pollution Attributable Mortality by MSA
This table identifies Metropolitan Statistical Areas in the state of Minnesota. For each MSA, the table shows PM-10 concentration and NRDC's estimate of air pollution attributable deaths.
The table shows the average annual mean PM-10 concentration in each MSA over the five-year period, 1990 through 1994. The higher the PM-10 concentration, the greater the risk of premature mortality from heart and lung disease.
For each MSA, we present point and range estimates of the annual adult cardiopulmonary deaths attributable to air pollution The estimates are derived by applyting a risk factor reported in a study of an American Cancer Society cohort to MSA-specific information on PM-10 concentrations and mortality from selected causes. The range estimates are derived from the confidence intervals for the risk ratio reported in the ACS study.
For the purposes of comparison, the table also shows the total number of cardiopulmonary deaths in the MSA and the number of deaths from car accidents.
|Metropolitan Statistical Area||Average
|Estimated Annual Cardiopulmonary Deaths
Particulate Air Pollution
|GRAND FORKS, ND-MN||19.4||11||7||-||16||11||400||12|
|MINNEAPOLIS-ST. PAUL, MN-WI||25.8||495||292||-||685||23||7,186||299|
|ST. CLOUD, MN||25.3||37||22||-||51||23||566||19|
Point estimates are derived from the risk ratio reported in the ACS study. Ranges are derived from 95-percent confidence intervals around the risk ratio in the ACS study.
Metropolitan Statistical Areas are as defined by the Office of Management and Budget for 1980, except for New England, where areas are New England County Metropolitan Areas.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
- Latin America Green News: Fire ravages Chile's Patagonia, scoring Costa Rica's beaches, and new project proposed near Mexico's Cabo Pulmo reserve
- posted by Denée Reaves, 3/28/14
- Port of Long Beach to test promising technology to reduce ship emissions
- posted by Morgan Wyenn, 3/19/14
- The "Three Amigos" Get it Right by Pledging to Work on Transportation and Climate at the North American Leaders Summit
- posted by Amanda Maxwell, 2/20/14
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.