Premature Mortality Due to Particulate Air Pollution in 239 American Cities
Top of Report
Top 50 MSA's Ranked by PM-10 Concentration
This table considers Metropolitan Statistical Areas ranked by average annual mean PM-10 concentration and identifies the top 50 MSA's of the 239 MSA's for which we have data. The higher the PM-10 concentration, the greater the risk of premature mortality from heart and lung disease.
The PM-10 concentration reported is the average of the annual mean concentration of PM-10 reported at all official monitoring stations within an MSA over the five year period, 1990 through 1994.
Metropolitan Statistical Areas are as defined by the Office of Management and Budget for 1980, except for New England, where areas are New England County Metropolitan Areas.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
- Air Quality in Latin America: High Levels of Pollution Require Strong Government Action
- posted by Amanda Maxwell, 4/29/13
- Latin America Green News: Chile's Pascua Lama faces permanent suspension, Costa Rica readies for Obama, Mexico needs cleaner air, and Central America at risk from climate change
- posted by Amanda Maxwell, 4/26/13
- What makes an entire family all of a sudden need asthma medications?
- posted by Amy Mall, 4/4/13
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.