Toward Safe and Efficient Vehicles
No one chooses a vehicle because it gets poor gas mileage. Rather, we buy our cars and trucks to get to work, to school, to play, and to get there safely. This July 2001 NRDC report describes how proven automotive technologies now make it possible to dramatically increase the fuel economy of cars and light trucks without compromising safety, performance, or consumer choice. It also explains how raising the corporate average fuel economy (CAFÉ) standards will benefit consumers' pocketbooks, the public's health, and the nation's economy.
|For printed copies of this report, see our Publications List.|
OVERVIEW & QUICK REFERENCE
TABLE OF CONTENTS
(Links indicate sections available as individual webpages)
Investing in Fuel Efficiency is Good for Consumers and the Economy
Consumers Can Have Choice Among Efficient Vehicles
Diesel Fuel Is Not the Answer
Consumers and Safety: Efficiency Without the Sacrifice
Clean Getaway: Toward Safe and Efficient Vehicles. By Roland Hwang, Bryanna Millis and Theo Spencer. July 2001. Print version, $5.00. Order print copies.
last revised 7/30/2001
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Efficient Appliances Save Energy -- and Money
- A consumer's guide to buying energy efficient appliances and electronics.