A Hydrogen Future?
An Economic and Environmental Assessment of Hydrogen Production Pathways
Hydrogen is being touted as the fuel of the future, but how it is produced matters. This NRDC issue paper identifies current and possible future sources of hydrogen, and examines the cost and environmental impacts of different methods of hydrogen production. The least expensive and most developed methods in use today are not necessarily environmentally sustainable. The analysis suggests that hydrogen will not provide an immediate solution to America's energy and climate crises.
last revised 11/17/2005
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Efficient Appliances Save Energy -- and Money
- A consumer's guide to buying energy efficient appliances and electronics.