Another Cost of Sprawl
The Effects of Land Use on Wastewater Utility Costs
Articles 4 and 5 of the CDOW Standard Direct Service Suburb Water Service Agreement
The portions of CDOW's water service agreements with its direct service suburbs related to its zone-based rate structures are excerpted below.
Article 4. Water Rates
4.01 Rates charged to all customers of PURVEYOR shall be set by the Board of Control of the City of Cleveland subject only to the approval of its Council. Purveyor hereby agrees that, for a period of ten (10) years from and after the effective date of this AGREEMENT, the dollar amount of any and all increases in water rates charged by the City of Cleveland to any Direct Service Customer shall not exceed the dollar amount of the increase for any direct service customer within the City of Cleveland by more than 75% in the Low or First High Service District outside the City of Cleveland; by more than 100% in the Second High Service District outside the City of Cleveland; or by more than 130% in the Third High Service District outside the City of Cleveland. Rates shall be calculated on a dollars per mcf (one thousand cubic feet of water) basis. Rate increases for Master Meter Customers shall be 75% of the rate increases for Direct Service Customers located in comparable service districts and 63% of the first rate increase reflecting the elimination of a separate maintenance charge. No increases shall be made in the rate for any customer without simultaneously increasing the rates for all other customers, except that customers entitled to a Homestead Exemption as presently specified and defined by the Codified Ordinances of the City of Cleveland need not be increased.
4.02 Rate increases for the following classes of customers shall not be limited by the provisions of Paragraph 4.01 above:
1) The rate to be charged to all customers or classes of customers who have taken steps toward leaving the Cleveland water system;
2) All rates and charges for unmetered fire supply connections pursuant to Section 535.21 of the Codified Ordinances of the City of Cleveland;
3) All rates and charges for water supplied from a public fire hydrant set pursuant to Article 17 hereof; and
4) All special rates for the use of water under special circumstances as determined by the Commissioner of Water pursuant to Section No. 535.26 of the Codified Ordinances of the City of Cleveland.
4.03 PURVEYOR agrees that no water rate shall be changed, instituted or revoked prior to sixty (60) days after the Suburban Water Council of Governments receives written notice of the proposed change, institution or revocation.
ARTICLE 5. COVENANT NOT TO SUE ON WATER RATES; EXCLUSIVE FRANCHISE
5.01 In consideration of the agreement of PURVEYOR and provided that PURVEYOR conforms all water rate increases strictly to the provisions of Article 4 of this AGREEMENT, and in consideration of the agreement of PURVEYOR to finance and construct the capital improvements provided for in Article 20 of this AGREEMENT, MUNICIPALITY agrees that it will not directly or indirectly, alone or together with others, by court proceedings or in any other way attempt to obstruct, enjoin, hinder or disable PURVEYOR from setting, charging, and collecting rates that PURVEYOR in its sole discretion deems necessary to enable PURVEYOR to fulfill its obligations hereunder. In addition, MUNICIPALITY agrees that PURVEYOR shall be the sole and exclusive supplier of water to MUNICIPALITY and its inhabitants for the term of this AGREEMENT.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
Kaid Benfield's Blog
Kaid Benfield writes about development, community and the environment on Switchboard.
Kaid's Recent Posts
- Measuring life quality: the Boston Indicators Project
- posted by Kaid Benfield, 5/13/13
- Transit stars in 3 kinetic time-lapse minutes from Zurich
- posted by Kaid Benfield, 5/10/13
- There must be a there (excerpted from People Habitat)
- posted by Kaid Benfield, 5/8/13
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.