Developments and Dollars
An Introduction to Fiscal Impact Analysis in Land Use Planning
This guide provides citizens, planners, local officials and others concerned with sprawling development and growth issues with tools they need to examine the likely impacts of development proposals on local taxes and municipal budgets. It also offers advice on accounting practices sometimes used to make development appear more attractive to local governments than it really is. Written by an expert in public finance, Developments and Dollars is the latest addition to NRDC's Toolkit for Smart Growth.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1: Introduction: Why Care About Fiscal Impact Analysis?
Chapter 2: What Is Fiscal Impact Analysis?
Chapter 3: Common Analytical Methods and Their Shortcomings
Chapter 4: Common Problems In Fiscal Impact Analysis
Chapter 5: Checklist: Elements of a Good Fiscal Impact Analysis
Credits and Acknowledgments
For printed copies of this report, see our Publications List.
last revised 6/9/2000
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
Kaid Benfield's Blog
Kaid Benfield writes about development, community and the environment on Switchboard.
Kaid's Recent Posts
- New guide from ASLA highlights urban green, literally, in Portland
- posted by Kaid Benfield, 10/27/14
- Compact and connected communities improve public health, says new research
- posted by Kaid Benfield, 10/20/14
- For smart growth, not all urban density is created equal
- posted by Kaid Benfield, 10/6/14
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.