Models of Smart Growth in Communities Across America
Advance praise for Solving Sprawl
"Stopping sprawl is not just a utopian theory, it is an active practice -- and the case studies presented here prove the point. Solving Sprawl is the best summary of the real choices we have to build better communities today."
- Peter Calthorpe, architect and author, The Next American Metropolis
"Solving Sprawl is one of the most important books to emerge from the rapidly growing smart growth movement. The authors have provided a valuable handbook for developers, public officials and ordinary citizens who want to do it right."
- Richard Moe, president, National Trust for Historic Preservation
"Communities everywhere will draw inspiration and hope from the well-documented success stories of Solving Sprawl. Too often, we waste our time lamenting the negative; here we can celebrate and learn from what has worked."
- Ralph Grossi, president, American Farmland Trust
"Finally, here is a book on the environment that confronts the American reality both pragmatically and comprehensively. This may be the first text of a New Environmentalism."
- Andres Duany, architect and author, Suburban Nation
"I am pleased to recognize NRDC as a leader in advancing smart growth efforts. We can learn valuable lessons from their efforts to showcase models of successful strategies."
- Senator Jim Jeffords (I-VT)
"Solving Sprawl offers exactly what developing communities need, exactly when they need it: an abundance of stories that show there's a better way to grow. This is storytelling at its finest -- readers will be richly informed and greatly inspired."
- Don Chen, director, Smart Growth America
"Solving Sprawl will be an important source of inspiration and ideas for planners, developers, civic leaders, and residents searching for better ways for their communities to grow. These successful examples prove that sprawl is not our only choice."
- Professor Susan Handy, University of Texas School of Architecture
"Solving Sprawl offers a valuable resource to practitioners, students, and just about anyone interested in how we live."
- Jonathan D. Weiss, executive director, The George Washington University Center on Sustainability & Regional Growth
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
Kaid Benfield's Blog
Kaid Benfield writes about development, community and the environment on Switchboard.
Kaid's Recent Posts
- Compact and connected communities improve public health, says new research
- posted by Kaid Benfield, 10/20/14
- For smart growth, not all urban density is created equal
- posted by Kaid Benfield, 10/6/14
- New report shows how to reduce vehicle pollution, create financial savings on a global scale
- posted by Kaid Benfield, 9/30/14
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.