Environmental Issues: U.S. Law & Policy
All Documents in U.S. Law & Policy Tagged biofuels
- Our Forests Aren't Fuel
- Forests are for wild animals, fresh air, clean water, and hiking with our kids. But now industry wants to burn our forests for biomass electricity, polluting the air we breathe and stealing from future generations.
Documents Tagged biofuels in All Sections
- Global Warming Solutions
- Solving global warming means investing in clean energy, green jobs and smart energy solutions. We can’t afford delay. This five-step plan will repower, refuel and rebuild America, starting today.
- Enviva’s Wood Pellet Mill in Ahoskie, North Carolina Threatens Endangered Ecosystems and Wildlife
- Conversions of large coal-burning power plants to wood (co-)firing in Europe have resulted in the explosive growth of wood pellet exports from North America, most of which originate in the forests of the southern United States. Enviva, the South's largest exporter of wood pellets, currently leads this market and has some of the most biologically diverse and valuable forest ecosystems in the world in its crosshairs.
- The Truth About the Biomass Industry
How Wood Pellet Exports Pollute Our Climate and Damage Our Forests
- Wood pellet exports from the United States nearly doubled last year, from 1.6 million tons in 2012 to 3.2
million tons in 2013, and are expected to jump to 5.7 million tons in 2015. More than 98 percent went to Europe, where they were destined for use in foreign power plants to help meet European renewable energy targets. This massive additional demand for logs now risks destroying ecosystems that can never be replaced.
- Sustainability Certification for Biofuels
- Large fuel purchasers are increasingly turning to biofuels to improve their environmental performance. These efforts are well intentioned but warrant caution. While biofuels can certainly provide environmental benefits, they can also cause severe damage if produced unsustainably, because biofuel feedstocks are inextricably linked to land, water, and wildlife.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
- Vetoing Bill, Governor Brown Calls for Stronger Medicine to Curb Antibiotic Resistance
- posted by Jonathan Kaplan, 9/30/14
- California Legislative Session Ends with Big Wins for Our Health and Environment
- posted by Victoria Rome, 9/17/14
- Climate polluter minority interests find tough sledding against the rise of clean energy bipartisan majorities in the states
- posted by Pierre Bull, 2/7/14
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.