Environmental Issues: U.S. Law & Policy
All Documents in U.S. Law & Policy Tagged Forests
- Our Forests Aren't Fuel
- Forests are for wild animals, fresh air, clean water, and hiking with our kids. But now industry wants to burn our forests for biomass electricity, polluting the air we breathe and stealing from future generations.
Documents Tagged Forests in All Sections
- Forests Not Fuel
Burning Trees for Energy Increases Carbon Pollution and Destroys Our Forests
- Forests purify our air and water, control soil erosion, foster biodiversity, provide habitats for wildlife, and serve as carbon "sinks", absorbing and storing vast amounts of carbon. Power companies, facing pressure to find alternatives to fossil fuels like coal, are increasingly proposing to burn whole trees for energy instead, which would not only emit a lot of carbon, but also destroy one of our best defenses against global warming.
- New Science Shows the Extent of Dying Whitebark Pine
Groundbreaking survey reveals the harsh truth about the decline of this hardy tree and the mountain wildlife that depends on it.
- A groundbreaking survey reveals the harsh truth about the decline of this hardy tree and the mountain wildlife that depends on it.
- Homegrown Energy from Biofuels
Fuel and electricity produced from grass, wood and other biomass have the potential to help repower America if carefully developed
- Fuel and electricity produced from grass, wood and other biomass have the potential to help repower America, but only if carefully developed to minimize global warming pollution and the potential harm to forests, grasslands and wildlife.
- Rule Protecting National Forest Wildlands Is Vindicated in Court
The Roadless Area Conservation Rule preserves America's unspoiled wilderness, but it's under assault
- In December 2002, a federal appeals court lifted a stay on the implementation of the Roadless Area Conservation Rule, a landmark forest-conservation measure that the timber industry and its allies have fought tooth and nail. Will the Bush administration enforce it, or undermine it?
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
- Climate polluter minority interests find tough sledding against the rise of clean energy bipartisan majorities in the states
- posted by Pierre Bull, 2/7/14
- Oh, The Places You Won't Go: House Drops Housing + Transportation Bill
- posted by Deron Lovaas, 7/31/13
- Botching the Budget, Ignoring the Infrastructure Debt
- posted by Deron Lovaas, 6/28/13
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.