Environmental Issues: Energy
All Documents in Energy Tagged gas drilling
- Unchecked Fracking Threatens Health, Water Supplies
The rapid expansion of natural gas drilling across the nation endangers human health and the environment.
- The oil and gas industry is seeking to expand natural gas production across the nation, as new technology makes it easier to extract gas from previously inaccessible sites. NRDC supports establishing a fully effective system of safeguards for hydraulic fracturing to protect our health and land and is committed to working with the federal government, states, communities and industry to put these safeguards into place right away.
- Testimony on the Environmental and Health Impacts of Oil and Gas Exploration and Production
- Testimony of Amy Mall, Senior Policy Analyst, Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), on the applicability of federal requirements that protect public health and the environment to oil and gas development. Presented to the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, United States House of Representatives, October 31, 2007.
Documents Tagged gas drilling in All Sections
- Fracking's Most Wanted: Lifting the Veil on Oil and Gas Company Spills and Violations
- States need new policies and regulations to ensure that the public can easily find information on violations by companies that drill for oil and gas, and that illegal acts are being recorded.
- Air Pollution from Fracking Threatens Public Health and Communities
- While the links between oil and gas extraction and potential health effects are well established, a growing body of new research points to associations between unconventional oil and gas development, specifically fracking, and health threats. Although health discussions, particularly in eastern states, have focused on drinking water contamination, there is mounting evidence for a range of health threats from air pollution as well.
- Fracking: Community Defense
People are speaking out and standing up
- We are joining the expertise of NRDC's policy and legal teams with the grassroots power of communities facing fracking in New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Illinois and California. Our goals is to strengthen and support the ability of communities to protect themselves by establishing strong legal precedents for local control, helping communities craft effective local laws on fracking.
- Stop the Fracking Attack in North Carolina
- The oil and gas industry is pushing the controversial practice of hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, on states around the country, without sufficient safeguards to protect Americans' drinking water supplies, public health or the environment. Often these states confront a host of potential problems -- from air pollution to water contamination -- as oil and gas companies roll in.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Get Updates and Alerts
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Efficient Appliances Save Energy -- and Money
- A consumer's guide to buying energy efficient appliances and electronics.