Environmental Issues: Energy
All Documents in Energy Tagged tar sands
- Top 10 Threats from the Tar Sands Invasion
- Despite economic losses, Big Oil remains determined to triple production of the dirty crude over the next two decades, and it has plans to flood the United States with up to six million barrels a day. The Tar Sands Invasion will pollute our land, air, and water if we don't stand up and say no to the real and widespread threats it represents.
- Stop the Proposed Keystone XL Pipeline
The Keystone XL tar sands pipeline will hurt not help job creation in America
- Proponents of the proposed Keystone XL tar sands pipeline engaged in a major disinformation campaign in a desperate attempt to win approval for the 1,700-mile pipeline though America's heartland. The facts reveal this pipeline was never in America's national interest.
- Tar Sands Crude Oil: Health Effects of a Dirty and Destructive Fuel
- Crude oil produced from tar sands is one of the world's dirtiest and most environmentally destructive sources of fuel. With more tar sands flowing through pipelines, moving on railcars, and being processed at refineries, there is mounting evidence that people and communities in the vicinity of tar sands activity face substantial health and safety risks.
- Climate Impacts of the Keystone XL Tar Sands Pipeline
- The proposed Keystone XL tar sands pipeline would pump up to 830,000 barrels per day of the world's dirtiest oil from Canada's Boreal forest straight through the heart of America's breadbasket to refineries on the Texas Gulf Coast. Building the 875-mile northern segment of Keystone XL would lead to a dramatic increase in the carbon pollution that worsens the effects of climate change.
Documents Tagged tar sands in All Sections
- Going in Reverse: The Tar Sands Oil Threat to Central Canada and New England
- Canadian pipeline company Enbridge Inc. appears to be reviving a previous pipeline plan that would take tar sands oil to central Canada and New England. Under the plan, the pipeline would carry Canadian tar sands oil, the dirtiest oil on the planet, through some of the most important natural and cultural places in Ontario, Quebec, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine.
- Keystone XL: A Tar Sands Pipeline to Increase Oil Prices
- One of the most misunderstood issues surrounding the proposed Keystone XL tar sands pipeline is the project’s impact on U.S. gasoline prices. Pipeline supporters cite high gasoline prices as a reason to build the project. The truth is that Keystone XL is likely to both decrease the amount of gasoline produced in U.S. refineries for domestic markets, and increase the cost of producing it, leading to even higher prices at the pump. Get document in pdf.
- Voices Against Tar Sands
Real People, Real Stories About How Tar Sands Affects Us
- Big Oil is pushing a web of pipelines from strip-mining of Canada's dirty and costly tar sands from under the Boreal forest. But people on the front lines are speaking out, taking a stand against dirty energy. We’ve captured their stories here to show how Keystone XL and other tar sands pipelines, as well as tar sands extraction and refining will have real impacts, on real people.
- Keystone XL Tar Sands Pipeline: Raising US Oil Prices
- Although the White House rejected the presidential permit for Keystone XL in January 2012, pipeline backers have cited high U.S. gas prices as a reason to expedite pipeline approval for the section from the Midwest to the Gulf Coast. There is no credible evidence, however, that gas prices would decline if Keystone XL was constructed—especially not the southern segment. The truth is, the Keystone XL tar sands pipeline could actually add to our nation's pain at the pump. Get document in pdf.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Get Updates and Alerts
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Efficient Appliances Save Energy -- and Money
- A consumer's guide to buying energy efficient appliances and electronics.