Environmental Issues: Energy
All Documents in Energy Tagged biomass
- Our Forests Aren't Fuel
- Forests are for wild animals, fresh air, clean water, and hiking with our kids. But now industry wants to burn our forests for biomass electricity, polluting the air we breathe and stealing from future generations.
- Renewable Energy for America
Harvesting the Benefits of Clean, Local, Renewable Energy
- This guide for farmers and agricultural communities on the economic benefits of investment in renewable energy includes maps showing both existing renewable energy facilities and potential for development of renewable resources.
- Sustainability Certification for Biofuels
- Large fuel purchasers are increasingly turning to biofuels to improve their environmental performance. These efforts are well intentioned but warrant caution. While biofuels can certainly provide environmental benefits, they can also cause severe damage if produced unsustainably, because biofuel feedstocks are inextricably linked to land, water, and wildlife.
- Burning Trees for Electricity Will Accelerate Climate Change and Destroy Southern Forests
- Power companies in the United States and Europe are expanding their use of trees, known as woody biomass, as a fuel source to replace fossil fuels. In the Southeast, the massive fuel needs of these energy companies could double logging rates and significantly increase carbon emissions, contributing to climate change at a time when we need to actively cut our carbon pollution.
Documents Tagged biomass in All Sections
- Think Wood Pellets are Green? Think Again.
- Biomass is often described as a clean, renewable fuel and a greener alternative to coal and other fossil fuels for producing electricity. But recent science shows that many forms of biomass -- especially from forests -- produce higher carbon emissions compared to fossil fuels.
- Enviva’s Wood Pellet Mill in Ahoskie, North Carolina Threatens Endangered Ecosystems and Wildlife
- Conversions of large coal-burning power plants to wood (co-)firing in Europe have resulted in the explosive growth of wood pellet exports from North America, most of which originate in the forests of the southern United States. Enviva, the South's largest exporter of wood pellets, currently leads this market and has some of the most biologically diverse and valuable forest ecosystems in the world in its crosshairs.
- The Truth About the Biomass Industry
How Wood Pellet Exports Pollute Our Climate and Damage Our Forests
- Wood pellet exports from the United States nearly doubled last year, from 1.6 million tons in 2012 to 3.2
million tons in 2013, and are expected to jump to 5.7 million tons in 2015. More than 98 percent went to Europe, where they were destined for use in foreign power plants to help meet European renewable energy targets. This massive additional demand for logs now risks destroying ecosystems that can never be replaced.
- The American Renewable Energy and Efficiency Act is a Step to Building our Clean Energy Future
- Senator Markey's legislation to establish a Renewable Electricity Standard (RES) and standalone Energy Efficiency Resource Standard (EERS) would put in place key tools in the fight to address dangerous climate change. In order to meet our generational obligation to cut carbon pollution our nation must transition from polluting fossil fuels to clean energy sources like wind, solar, and energy efficiency. The American Renewable Energy and Efficiency Act will promote clean energy sources that cut carbon pollution, further expand our powerful clean energy economy which currently employs hundreds of thousands of American workers, drive innovation, and provide a strong market signal that the future lies in clean, renewable energy developed here in America. Get document in pdf.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Get Updates and Alerts
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Efficient Appliances Save Energy -- and Money
- A consumer's guide to buying energy efficient appliances and electronics.