Environmental Issues: Energy
All Documents in Energy Tagged climate change
- Burning Trees for Electricity Will Accelerate Climate Change and Destroy Southern Forests
- Power companies in the United States and Europe are expanding their use of trees, known as woody biomass, as a fuel source to replace fossil fuels. In the Southeast, the massive fuel needs of these energy companies could double logging rates and significantly increase carbon emissions, contributing to climate change at a time when we need to actively cut our carbon pollution.
- The Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative is a Model for the Nation
- In the absence of a comprehensive national energy policy, ten northeastern and mid-Atlantic states are working together to shift their energy dollars to cleaner, local, job-creating resources through the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative, RGGI.
Documents Tagged climate change in All Sections
- Who Pays for Climate Change?
U.S. Taxpayers Outspend Private Insurers Three-to-One to Cover Climate Disruption Costs
- Despite the lengthy debate on the federal budget in Congress, climate change rarely gets mentioned as a deficit driver. Yet paying for climate disruption was one of the largest non-defense discretionary budget items in 2012.
- Getting Climate Smart
A Water Preparedness Guide for State Action
- As climate change continues to alter historical temperature and precipitation patterns, it is critical that states develop comprehensive plans to address its challenges. NRDC's Getting Climate Smart: A Water Preparedness Guide for State Action is a guide to assist water managers and state governments as they ready themselves for wide-ranging changes for their communities and ecosystems.
- Rising Temperatures, Deadly Threat
Preparing India's Local Populations for Extreme Heat Events
- Extreme heat events already have had a significant impact in India, where summer temperatures are historically high. Coordinated action is needed among the many government departments and organizations to reduce the devastating health effects of heat stress on local populations. Ahmedabad is leading as the first Indian city to create a comprehensive early warning system and preparedness plan for extreme heat events.
- Thirsty for Answers
Preparing for the Water-related Impacts of Climate Change in American Cities
- Cities across the United States should anticipate significant water-related vulnerabilities based on current carbon emission trends because of climate change, ranging from water shortages to more intense storms and floods to sea level rise.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Efficient Appliances Save Energy -- and Money
- A consumer's guide to buying energy efficient appliances and electronics.