Environmental Issues: Energy
All Documents in Energy Tagged climate change
- NRDC’s Second Annual Energy Report, 2014
Positive Energy Trends Bode Well for U.S. Security and the Economy
- For decades, America's energy news trended from bad to worse, beginning with the oil crises of the 1970s. However, NRDC recently conducted an exhaustive analysis that found a remarkable turnaround. Based on key economic, security, and environmental indicators, the state of the U.S. energy economy has never been better. And in an era of escalating Mideast turmoil and gyrating oil prices, this accumulated resilience could hardly be more timely.
- Burning Trees for Electricity Will Accelerate Climate Change and Destroy Southern Forests
- Power companies in the United States and Europe are expanding their use of trees, known as woody biomass, as a fuel source to replace fossil fuels. In the Southeast, the massive fuel needs of these energy companies could double logging rates and significantly increase carbon emissions, contributing to climate change at a time when we need to actively cut our carbon pollution.
- Climate Impacts of the Keystone XL Tar Sands Pipeline
- The proposed Keystone XL tar sands pipeline would pump up to 830,000 barrels per day of the world's dirtiest oil from Canada's Boreal forest straight through the heart of America's breadbasket to refineries on the Texas Gulf Coast. Building the 875-mile northern segment of Keystone XL would lead to a dramatic increase in the carbon pollution that worsens the effects of climate change.
- The Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative is a Model for the Nation
- In the absence of a comprehensive national energy policy, ten northeastern and mid-Atlantic states are working together to shift their energy dollars to cleaner, local, job-creating resources through the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative, RGGI.
Documents Tagged climate change in All Sections
- Rising Temperatures, Deadly Threat
Preparing Communities in India for Extreme Heat Events
- Extreme heat events already have had a significant impact in India, where summer temperatures are historically high. Coordinated action is needed among the many government departments and organizations to reduce the devastating health effects of heat stress on local populations. Ahmedabad is leading as the first Indian city to create a comprehensive early warning system and preparedness plan for extreme heat events.
- Cleaner and Cheaper: Using the Clean Air Act to Sharply Reduce Carbon Pollution from Existing Power Plants
- Climate and energy experts at NRDC have crafted a groundbreaking proposal that will help the Administration create jobs, grow the economy, and curb climate change by going after the country's largest source of climate-changing pollution: emissions from hundreds of existing power plants.
- India: Addressing Climate Change and Moving Towards a Low-Carbon Future
- India is an emerging economic powerhouse and a global leader. Despite the recent economic slowdown, India continues to be one of the largest economies in the world with a GDP projected to growby 6.5 percent by the end of 2015. In fueling this economic growth rate, India has become the fourth largest energy consumer in the world. This rapid growth and the accompanying increase in greenhouse gas emissions raise national concerns about climate change. As it develops, India is moving to reduce emissions intensity to protect its people and environment, and the new government is poised to continue leading these efforts. This fact sheet outlines the steps that India is taking to grow a low-carbon economy. Get document in pdf.
- Acting Now on Climate: How is Peru addressing climate change and moving toward a low-carbon future?
- Peru is on the frontlines of the fight against global climate change. Communities and infrastructure in low-lying coastal zones are susceptible to sea level rise, and a changing climate means new potential threats to important economic sectors such as fisheries and agriculture. Faced with these growing challenges, Peru is striving to address and adapt to its climate vulnerabilities.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Get Updates and Alerts
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Efficient Appliances Save Energy -- and Money
- A consumer's guide to buying energy efficient appliances and electronics.