Environmental Issues: Energy
All Documents in Energy Tagged fracking
- Unchecked Fracking Threatens Health, Water Supplies
The rapid expansion of natural gas drilling across the nation endangers human health and the environment.
- The oil and gas industry is seeking to expand natural gas production across the nation, as new technology makes it easier to extract gas from previously inaccessible sites. NRDC supports establishing a fully effective system of safeguards for hydraulic fracturing to protect our health and land and is committed to working with the federal government, states, communities and industry to put these safeguards into place right away.
- Drilling in California: Who’s at risk?
- As new drilling and stimulation techniques, including fracking, are heralded as the key to unlocking a new oil boom in California, there is mounting evidence that these technologies, and the expansion of oil and gas development that they enable, threaten public health.
- Leaking Profits
The U.S. Oil and Gas Industry Can Reduce Pollution, Conserve Resources, and Make Money by Preventing Methane Waste
- Methane makes up as much as 90 percent of natural gas, and significant amounts of methane are wasted when natural gas is extracted by fracking or other techniques. Preventing the leakage and venting of methane from natural gas facilities would reduce pollution, enhance air quality, improve human health, and conserve energy resources.
- Is Fracking Distressing You?
Unbridled drilling for natural oil and gas exploration is outpacing state and federal safeguards for people and the environment
- Fracking is exempt from key provisions in the Safe Drinking Water, Clean Water, and Clean Air Acts and is fundamentally transforming communities as drilling industrializes sleepy towns and cities and scars untouched landscapes. Send us stories, videos, photos about how you are being affected by fracking.
Documents Tagged fracking in All Sections
- Air Pollution from Fracking Threatens Public Health and Communities
- While the links between oil and gas extraction and potential health effects are well established, a growing body of new research points to associations between unconventional oil and gas development, specifically fracking, and health threats. Although health discussions, particularly in eastern states, have focused on drinking water contamination, there is mounting evidence for a range of health threats from air pollution as well.
- Fracking: Community Defense
People are speaking out and standing up
- We are joining the expertise of NRDC's policy and legal teams with the grassroots power of communities facing fracking in New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Illinois and California. Our goals is to strengthen and support the ability of communities to protect themselves by establishing strong legal precedents for local control, helping communities craft effective local laws on fracking.
- Stop the Fracking Attack in North Carolina
- The oil and gas industry is pushing the controversial practice of hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, on states around the country, without sufficient safeguards to protect Americans' drinking water supplies, public health or the environment. Often these states confront a host of potential problems -- from air pollution to water contamination -- as oil and gas companies roll in.
- Spreading Like Wildfire
Oil and gas leases mean that fracking could occur on tens of millions of acres of U.S. lands
- According to a new NRDC analysis, at the end of 2011, 70 of the largest oil and gas companies operating in the United States held leases covering at least 141 million net acres of American land -- an area approximately the size of California and Florida combined.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Efficient Appliances Save Energy -- and Money
- A consumer's guide to buying energy efficient appliances and electronics.