Environmental Issues: Energy
All Documents in Energy Tagged smog
- Coal Is Hazardous to Your Health
Coal-fired power plants threaten the environment and your health.
- Burning coal releases enormous amounts of harmful pollutants into the air and water, with serious health consequences. Waste generated by coal-fired power plants contains hazardous pollutants that can contaminate our drinking water and cause cancer, birth defects and reproductive problems. This index of fact sheets describes the health hazards of our continued reliance on coal.
Documents Tagged smog in All Sections
- The California Dump Dirty Diesels Campaign
- Since 1990, NRDC's advocacy victories have brought about a 56 percent reduction in diesel soot emissions in California. While we have made great strides overall in protecting health and the environment in California, toxic hotspots such as ports, rail yards, and major freeways continue to present a serious risk for many of our communities.
- Harboring Pollution: The Dirty Truth about U.S. Ports
- Marine ports in the United States are major hubs of economic activity and major sources of pollution. This March 2004 report by NRDC and the Coalition for Clean Air assesses efforts at the 10 largest U.S. ports to control pollution, and provides an overview of policy and practical pollution mitigation recommendations.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Get Updates and Alerts
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Efficient Appliances Save Energy -- and Money
- A consumer's guide to buying energy efficient appliances and electronics.