Environmental Issues: Energy
All Documents in Energy Tagged smart growth
- Reducing Foreclosures and Environmental Impacts through Location-Efficient Neighborhood Design
- While the nation continues to grapple with a troubling housing market and a rash of mortgage defaults, new research has emerged drawing a direct linkbetween “location efficiency”—a measure of the transportation costs in a given area—and mortgage foreclosure rates. The study shows that factors such as neighborhood compactness, access to public transit, and rates of vehicle ownership are key to predicting mortgage performance and should be taken more seriously by mortgage underwriters, policymakers, and real estate developers. With transportation costs accounting for roughly 17 percent of the average American household’s income, the need for better land use planning and better lending practices has never been more clear. NRDC recommends changes both to planning-related policies and mortgage underwriting procedures that can reduce transportation costs and risk of foreclosure while offering significant environmental benefits. Get document in pdf.
- Checklist for Cars
Today's 'To Do' List to Put America on the Road to Clean Transportation
- America’s commuters just have to look at the morning gridlock to see that our nation’s transportation infrastructure is no longer working. Clogged roads, smog-filled air, and transportation restrictions that fuel our oil dependence and contribute about one-third of our global warming pollution are all indicators that we need to move beyond our outdated approaches to getting around. Cutting-edge solutions available today will make transportation easier, cheaper, and cleaner. NRDC has developed a three-part checklist for adopting smart transportation policies that can carry us into a clean energy future. Get document in pdf.
- Building the Wheels of the Clean Energy Economy
Public Transportation for the 21st Century
- In too many cities and towns across the nation, Americans are spending more time in their cars—and stuck in traffic—when traveling between home, work, and school. This dangerous reliance on our vehicles, which keeps us addicted to oil and causes serious pollution, is a threat to our health, environment, and national security. Developing a modern, efficient public transportation infrastructure will create millions of jobs, reduce our reliance on foreign oil, combat global warming and serve as the foundation of the clean energy economy. Get document in pdf.
Documents Tagged smart growth in All Sections
- Affordable Green Housing
The Green Communities Initiative will build thousands of affordable, environmentally friendly homes across the country.
- The Green Communities Initiative, a project of NRDC and Enterprise Community Partners, will build thousands of affordable, environmentally friendly homes across the country.
- More Choices, Less Traffic
It's time to get America moving by investing to expand and improve public transportation
- It is time to revamp America's ailing road and rail networks to create a competitive, 21st century solution. What we need is a more modern, balanced transportation system that offers people choices, so they can enjoy the freedom of being able to travel shorter distances or less often by car.
- Sustainable Neighborhoods
Solutions for Sustainability
- One of the most important models of sustainable growth is the neighborhood, where increments of development actually occur and where most people connect with their cities, their environments, and each other on an everyday basis.
- Sustainable Practices on Key Urban Issues
Solutions for Sustainability
- Specific issues like water quality and sustainable food are a challenge in all cities. NRDC is creating models to solve a selected set of key urban challenges that can be applied to other cities nationwide.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Efficient Appliances Save Energy -- and Money
- A consumer's guide to buying energy efficient appliances and electronics.