Environmental Issues: Energy
All Documents in Energy Tagged diesel exhaust
- Cleaning Up Diesel Trucks in California
Millions in Funding Available Each Year
- Heavy-duty trucks in California are the largest single source of diesel pollution, leading to thousands of illnesses and deaths each year. Pollution from diesel trucks was responsible for roughly 1,500 premature deaths in 2005, and the costs of this loss of life in addition to disease, lost work days, and school absences adds up to $12 billion per year. However, diesel pollution could easily be prevented through upgrades to the existing truck fleet, and the California Air Resources Board (CARB) is seeking to do just that with the upcoming diesel truck regulation. While truck owners may be wary of the added costs of upgrades that will be required, much funding has been made available by the state to offset those costs. Get document in pdf.
- Coal Is Hazardous to Your Health
Coal-fired power plants threaten the environment and your health.
- Burning coal releases enormous amounts of harmful pollutants into the air and water, with serious health consequences. Waste generated by coal-fired power plants contains hazardous pollutants that can contaminate our drinking water and cause cancer, birth defects and reproductive problems. This index of fact sheets describes the health hazards of our continued reliance on coal.
- What Parents Need to Know About Diesel School Buses
If your kids are riding a diesel bus to school, chances are they're being exposed to unacceptable cancer risk.
- Answers to questions including: What are the health effects of diesel exhaust inside school buses? Are all diesel buses equally dangerous? What can I do to reduce my children's exposure to diesel exhaust?
Documents Tagged diesel exhaust in All Sections
- Asthma and Air Pollution
Bad air can bring on asthma attacks, even in healthy people; tracking air quality and controlling pollution from cars, factories and power plants can help.
- Bad air can bring on asthma attacks, even in healthy people; tracking air quality and controlling pollution from cars, factories and power plants can help.
- Clean Cargo Center
Community Resources for Reducing Diesel Air Pollution from the Freight Industry
- Freight transportation hubs may help deliver the products that fill our stores and homes, but for those who live near them -- disproportionately low-income people of color -- finding ways to clean up cargo is truly as important as the air we breathe. Fortunately, the National Environmental Policy Act offers communities public oversight over federal or federally-funded projects that will affect the environment.
- The California Dump Dirty Diesels Campaign
- Since 1990, NRDC's advocacy victories have brought about a 56 percent reduction in diesel soot emissions in California. While we have made great strides overall in protecting health and the environment in California, toxic hotspots such as ports, rail yards, and major freeways continue to present a serious risk for many of our communities.
- Driving on Fumes
Truck Drivers Face Elevated Health Risks from Diesel Pollution
- Diesel pollution is well known to be hazardous to human health. Groups at particular risk include workers in diesel industries, such as trucking and rail, and communities located near major sources of diesel pollution, such as ports and freeways. This December 2007 issue paper summarizes the alarming findings of one of the first investigations to measure drivers' exposure levels to diesel soot inside trucks serving our nation's ports.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Efficient Appliances Save Energy -- and Money
- A consumer's guide to buying energy efficient appliances and electronics.