Environmental Issues: Oceans
All Documents in Oceans Tagged California
- America’s Underwater Parks
The Marine Life Protection Act Safeguards Our Special Undersea Places
- More than 130 years ago, the United States began to protect our most treasured areas on land by creating National Parks. It is now time to extend that same crucial protection to special marine areas by creating parks and wilderness reserves, called marine protected areas, in our oceans. The Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) is creating a network of marine protected areas off California’s coast to sustain and revitalize the rich web of ocean life. Get document in pdf.
- Cabo Pulmo: Protecting Baja California's Thriving Coral Reef from Massive Tourism Development
- Cabo Pulmo National Marine Park, at the southern tip of Mexico's Baja California peninsula, is home to the only living hard coral reef in the Gulf of California. Teeming with marine life, it is one of the healthiest marine reserves in the world. But Spanish developer Hansa Urbana plans to build a colossal tourism and real estate complex right next door, which would devastate the park's fragile ecosystem. To protect the reef and its marine life, NRDC is partnering with local and international groups in a multi-faceted campaign to stop Hansa Urbana and create a sustainable, long-term development plan for the area. Get document in pdf.
Documents Tagged California in All Sections
- Tackling Water Scarcity
Five Southern California Water Agencies Lead the Way to a More Sustainable Tomorrow
- Water scarcity has long been a fact of life across much of the southwestern United States. Changing climate patterns, growing populations, and over-tapped aquifer and river systems call for bold strategies to meet water supply needs for this region.
- NRDC Support for SB 147
- On April 4, 2011, Sarah Janssen and Victoria Rome of Natural Resources Defense Council sent a letter to Senator Curren Price, Chair of the California State Senate's Business, Professions, and Economic Development Committee, in support of SB 147 -- the Consumer Choice Fire Safety Act. Get document in pdf.
- Testimony of Dr. Sarah Janssen for California's SB 772
- On July 7, 2009, Sarah Janssen, senior scientist at Natural Resources Defense Council, testified for SB 772 before the California Assembly Committee on Health. The bill would have banned the use of certain flame retardants in children's products. Get document in pdf.
- Testimony of Dr. Sarah Janssen on TB 117, the Upholstered Furniture Flammability Standard
- On July 23, 2012, Sarah Janssen, senior scientist at Natural Resources Defense Council, testified before California's Department of Consumer Affairs in Sacramento where a public workshop was held on TB 117, the Upholstered Furniture Flammability Standard. Get document in pdf.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
Oceans on Switchboard
NRDC experts write about the growing risks to the health of our oceans on the NRDC blog.
Recent Oceans Posts
- NRDC Advocate Named "Hero of the Seas" for Creating Underwater Parks
- posted by Frances Beinecke, 5/15/13
- Top 5 Benefits of AB 521
- posted by Brant Olson, 5/9/13
- A Brighter Blue Budget
- posted by Alexandra Adams, 4/26/13
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.