Environmental Issues: Oceans
All Documents in Oceans Tagged oil
- Tracking Oil Washing Ashore on Beaches
Find out which beaches are unaffected by the Gulf oil disaster, and what to do if you encounter spilled oil.
- Find out which beaches are unaffected by the Gulf oil disaster, and what to do if you encounter spilled oil.
- Protecting Our Ocean and Coastal Economies
Avoid Unnecessary Risks from Offshore Drilling
- Healthy oceans are critically important to marine life and to coastal communities whose economies rely on tourism and fishing. Opening up new offshore areas to drilling risks permanent damage to our oceans and beaches without reducing our dependence on oil. When oil spills occur they can bring catastrophic harm to marine life and devastating losses for local businesses. And even routine exploration and drilling activities bring harm to many marine species. The Administration and Congress must work together to assess the environmental impacts of offshore drilling before making key decisions about offshore oil and gas activities in new areas or Alaska. Get document in pdf.
- Offshore Drilling Threatens Our Beaches, Oceans, Coastal Communities and Marine Life
- President Bush and some members of Congress are pressing to open offshore areas that have been protected from oil drilling for many years, including the east and west coasts and Florida.
Documents Tagged oil in All Sections
- It Could Happen Here: The Exploding Threat of Crude by Rail in California
- In the rush to transport land-locked unconventional new crude oil sources, old rail lines running through communities across America are now rattling with thousands of cars filled with crude oil. Federal regulators have few safeguards in place to protect communities and the environment from accidents, spills and explosions resulting from the race to move millions of barrels of crude by rail.
- Environmental Risks with Proposed Offshore Oil and Gas Development off Alaska’s North Slope
- In August 2012, Royal Dutch Shell Oil (Shell) plans to begin exploratory drilling in the Arctic Ocean off Alaska's northern coast. This paper argues that drilling and related industrial activity would create an unacceptable risk of irreparable damage to this unique part of the planet and should be postponed until comprehensive research can be performed and a credible system for responding to spills is put into place.
- Arctic Wildlife Refuge: Why Trash an American Treasure for a Tiny Percentage of Our Oil Needs?
Drilling for oil in America's premier wildlife sanctuary would deface the pristine landscape and threaten Alaskan wildlife.
- Drilling for oil in America's premier wildlife sanctuary would deface the pristine landscape and threaten Alaskan wildlife.
- Fighting Oil Addiction
Ranking States' Gasoline Price Vulnerability and Solutions for Change
- To curb America's perilous addiction to oil, we need effective government policies that will increase the availability of efficient vehicles and clean fuels and that will promote smart growth and public transit. This November 2012 paper updates NRDC's research identifying the states that are most vulnerable to spikes in oil prices -- and those states that are doing the most to break their addiction to oil.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
Oceans on Switchboard
NRDC experts write about the growing risks to the health of our oceans on the NRDC blog.
Recent Oceans Posts
- Threat to Cabo Pulmo National Park from Cabo Cortés project re-emerges
- posted by Carolina Herrera, 10/22/14
- NRDC, Fishermen and Watershed Protection Groups Launch Legal Action to Protect Disappearing Blueback Herring
- posted by Brad Sewell, 10/17/14
- Bag Bans Will Keep Harmful Plastic Out of the Ocean
- posted by Peter Lehner, 10/7/14
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.