Environmental Issues: Oceans
All Documents in Oceans Tagged United Nations
- Protecting Ocean Habitat from Bottom Trawling
Halting this underwater version of strip-mining in sensitive areas can keep our oceans healthy and full of vibrant marine life.
- Halting this underwater version of strip-mining in sensitive areas can keep our oceans healthy and full of vibrant marine life.
Documents Tagged United Nations in All Sections
- The Evolution of International Environmental Governance
- Since the 1970s, the international community has created a number of successful institutions and treaties to protect the global environment; but more work remains to turn commitments into action.
- Global Sustainable Development Post-MDGs
Building a new architecture for a new world
- In terms of negotiated commitments, Rio+20 is perhaps best seen as a starting point rather than an ending point for action on sustainable development, with the true impact of many commitments yet to be felt due to the long implementation times required. The world needs new structures and collaborations to meet the opportunities and challenges of a rapidly changing, interconnected world.
- The Rio+20 Earth Summit
Speeding up the transition to a sustainable future at the Rio+20 Earth Summit
- Two decades after the first UN Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro, we're still waiting for action to address climate change and sustainability issues. NRDC will be taking an active role at the 2012 Rio+20 Summit. Explore here and check back frequently for updates on how we can work together to address the sustainability and climate crises facing our world.
- Bringing Safe Water to the World
Environmental stewardship can help eliminate the world's biggest health risk -- dirty water.
- One billion people around the world don't have access to clean, safe water. Developed countries have essentially eradicated diseases such as cholera, typhoid and malaria, but in developing nations, these and other waterborne illnesses kill 5 million people each year -- 6,000 children every day.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
Oceans on Switchboard
NRDC experts write about the growing risks to the health of our oceans on the NRDC blog.
Recent Oceans Posts
- NRDC Urges the New York Legislature to Support Our Ocean and Great Lakes
- posted by Ali Chase, 3/18/15
- Who in the United States will be Most Harmed by Ocean Acidification?
- posted by Lisa Suatoni, 3/4/15
- A Decade of Protection at the Northern Channel Islands (guest blog by Jenn Eckerle)
- posted by Seth Atkinson, 3/4/15
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.