Environmental Issues: Oceans
All Documents in Oceans Tagged birds
- Saving Jamaica Bay
- New York City's Jamaica Bay is plagued by an array of harms ranging from overdevelopment on its borders to water pollution to invasive plant and animal species. A unified effort on the part of government and residents is needed to restore this natural gem and to save one of the city's last wild places. Get document in pdf.
Documents Tagged birds in All Sections
- The Birds of Hawaii's Hakalau Forest
- Hawaii's Hakalau Forest National Wildlife Refuge protects endangered birds and their rainforest habitat. This photo gallery contains images of nine of Hakalau's unique forest birds.
- Danger in the Nursery
Impact of Tar Sands Oil Development in Canada’s Boreal on Birds
- Each spring more than half of America's birds flock to the Canadian Boreal forest to nest. There, tens of millions of birds -- as many as 500 breeding pairs per square mile of forests, lakes, river valleys, and wetlands -- spend the winter. Yet almost all the biggest oil companies are mining and drilling important Boreal forest and wetlands to access thick, low-grade petroleum.
- The Beaufort and Chukchi Seas
Protecting America’s Arctic
- Aggressive government interest in leasing areas to the oil and gas industries in the zone referred to as the “Arctic Ring of Life”—home to millions of migratory birds, polar bears, beluga whales, endangered bowhead whales, and thousands-year-old Inupiat (Eskimo) culture—threatens the sustainability of this ecosystem and the livelihood of Alaska Native communities. Get document in pdf.
- Strip Mining for Oil in Endangered Forests
- Big oil interests are scraping away hundreds of thousands of acres in North America’s Boreal forest to produce tar sands oil, and in the process consuming large amounts of natural gas and generating three times as much global warming pollution as conventional crude oil production. Greater efficiency and renewable fuels are far better, cleaner ways to meet our energy needs. Get document in pdf.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Get Updates and Alerts
Oceans on Switchboard
NRDC experts write about the growing risks to the health of our oceans on the NRDC blog.
Recent Oceans Posts
- Expert Report Can Guide Northeast in Fighting Climate Change Impact on Oceans
- posted by Lisa Suatoni, 1/21/16
- Keep It Under the Sea
- posted by Niel Lawrence, 11/17/15
- California Bans Plastic Microbeads: A Key Step in Reducing Marine Plastic Pollution
- posted by Elizabeth Murdock, 11/13/15
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.