Environmental Issues: Oceans
All Documents in Oceans Tagged national oceans policy
- Saving Our Seas
Protecting Our Oceans for the Future
- Healthy oceans are essential to our survival. They provide food, jobs, and recreation that we rely on. They create the very air we breathe. But our oceans and coasts are facing innumerable threats -- from overexploitation and pollution to ocean acidification and invasive species -- and need urgent attention. The new National Ocean Policy, adopted by President Obama in July 2010, improves the way we manage our oceans, reducing duplicative efforts and conflicting government actions, and focusing attention on the most serious issues jeopardizing ocean health. We must ensure that sufficient funding is dedicated to the National Ocean Policy to protect our oceans and coasts, and the communities and economies they support, for generations to come. Get document in pdf.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
Oceans on Switchboard
NRDC experts write about the growing risks to the health of our oceans on the NRDC blog.
Recent Oceans Posts
- From Maine to Virginia, Carbon Pollution Limits Can Help Protect Shellfisheries
- posted by Susan Casey-Lefkowitz, 2/26/15
- Time to Speak UP, Show Up and Oppose Reckless Drilling Off of Our Coasts
- posted by Alexandra Adams, 2/9/15
- New Drilling Plan Puts Jersey Shore to Miami Beach and Wild Arctic at Risk
- posted by Peter Lehner, 1/27/15
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.