Environmental Issues: Oceans
All Documents in Oceans Tagged BradSewell
- Bringing Back the Fish
An Evaluation of U.S. Fisheries Rebuilding Under the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act
- Congress amended the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act in 1996 to require that overfished ocean fish stocks be rebuilt in as short a time period as possible, not to exceed 10 years, with limited exceptions. As part of evaluating the success of these requirements, NRDC examined population trends of all U.S. ocean fish stocks that were subject to the requirements and for which sufficient information was available to assess rebuilding progress.
Documents Tagged BradSewell in All Sections
- The Dusky Shark Should be Listed under the Endangered Species Act
After decades of fishing, the dusky shark is now a species on the brink.
- The northwest Atlantic dusky shark population, the population that lives primarily in U.S. waters, has dropped to between 15 percent and 20 percent of its 1970 level. Despite a more than 10-year-long ban on U.S. recreational and commercial fisheries retaining dusky sharks, the region's population has failed to recover. The dusky shark's highly depleted status in the northwest Atlantic requires strong action now.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
Oceans on Switchboard
NRDC experts write about the growing risks to the health of our oceans on the NRDC blog.
Recent Oceans Posts
- The National Ocean Policy Turns Four
- posted by Ali Chase, 7/18/14
- Obama Takes Bold Action to Protect Marine Life in the Pacific Ocean
- posted by Frances Beinecke, 6/17/14
- Government Fails to Protect Great Hammerhead Shark
- posted by Brad Sewell, 6/13/14
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.