Environmental Issues: Global Warming
All Documents in Global Warming Tagged oceans
- Ocean Acidification: The Other CO2 Problem
Increased carbon dioxide is changing the chemistry of the earth’s oceans, threatening marine life
- Over the last decade, scientists have discovered that increased CO2 is actually changing the chemistry of the sea and proving harmful for many forms of marine life. This process is known as ocean acidification. A more acidic ocean could wipe out species, disrupt the food web and impact fishing, tourism and any other human endeavor that relies on the sea.
Documents Tagged oceans in All Sections
- Enforcement Technology Options for California Marine Protected Areas
- California's marine protected area network made the state a national leader in ocean management and put it in a position to drive national policy on enforcement and compliance. Yet it currently trails Oregon and Washington in the use of up-to-date electronic systems for managing citations.
- Protecting the Mid-Atlantic's Deep Sea Ecosystems
- The Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council, which manages U.S. fisheries resources in the region, is currently developing a plan to protect deep-sea coral communities off the Mid-Atlantic coast from fishing gear damage.
- Improving the Science and Management of Data-Limited Fisheries
An Evaluation of Current Methods and Recommended Approaches
- In January 2014, the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) convened a group of experts to evaluate and seek to improve current methods for managing data-limited fisheries through an in-depth exchange of practical experiences combined with quantitative analyses and newly-developed tools.
- Successfully Rebuilding American Fisheries Under the Magnuson-Stevens Act
- The Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act is working to protect and rebuild America's ocean fish populations. Rebounding fish populations create jobs, support coastal economies, repair damaged marine ecosystems, provide increased recreational fishing opportunities and supply fresh, local seafood.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Get Updates and Alerts
This Is Global Warming
Watch the Video »
Our new video shows the effects of global warming in the world today.
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- California Formalizes Big Energy Efficiency Step - Now the Hard Work Begins
- posted by Lara Ettenson, 10/7/15
- HFC Super-Pollutants: NRDC Petitions EPA to "SNAP" Away Powerful Heat-Trapping Chemicals
- posted by David Doniger, 10/6/15
- A Letter from the Future on Climate Change
- posted by Shelley Poticha, 10/6/15