Environmental Issues: Global Warming
All Documents in Global Warming Tagged Alaska
- Global Warming Puts the Arctic on Thin Ice
Answers to questions about the Arctic's shrinking ice cap and its global significance.
- Answers to questions including: What kinds of changes are taking place in the Arctic now? Will Arctic ice melt have any effects beyond the polar region? Can we do anything to stop global warming?
- Polar Thaw: Global Warming in the Arctic and Antarctic
Photographs from 'World View of Global Warming' by Gary Braasch
- Award-winning photographer Gary Braasch undertook his 'World View of Global Warming' project to document the impacts of global climate change, continent by continent. These photographs illustrate his visits to the Earth's polar caps, where temperature changes have so far been the most pronounced.
Documents Tagged Alaska in All Sections
- Environmental Risks with Proposed Offshore Oil and Gas Development off Alaska’s North Slope
- In August 2012, Royal Dutch Shell Oil (Shell) plans to begin exploratory drilling in the Arctic Ocean off Alaska's northern coast. This paper argues that drilling and related industrial activity would create an unacceptable risk of irreparable damage to this unique part of the planet and should be postponed until comprehensive research can be performed and a credible system for responding to spills is put into place.
- Protecting Bristol Bay
Saving America’s Last Wild Places
- The cool, shallow waters of Alaska's Bristol Bay are surrounded by tundra, crisscrossed by rivers, and dotted with lakes large and small. Bears, wolves, seals, and whales flourish in this nearly untouched ecosystem, all drawn by the same lure: tens of millions of thrashing salmon, charging upstream to spawn. Huge salmon runs are the linchpin of this ecosystem, supporting valuable commercial fisheries, Alaska Natives, and a vast array of wildlife. Tragically, the whole system could be put at risk if giant mining companies are allowed to pursue their narrow interests. NRDC's BioGems program, dedicated to winning permanent protection for endangered wild regions across the Americas, is fighting to preserve this pristine ecosystem. Get document in pdf.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
This Is Global Warming
Watch the Video »
Our new video shows the effects of global warming in the world today.
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Another U.S. Public Funding Institution Will Get Out of Coal Power Plants: New Export-Import Bank Guidelines Adopted
- posted by Jake Schmidt, 12/12/13
- Pakistan Coal Power Plant to Get Public Funding: Will this be the last coal plant funded by the Asian Development Bank
- posted by Jake Schmidt, 12/11/13
- China is Acting on Climate Change & the Country Can do More
- posted by Jake Schmidt, 12/6/13