Environmental Issues: Transportation
All Documents in Transportation Tagged transit
- More Choices, Less Traffic
It's time to get America moving by investing to expand and improve public transportation
- It is time to revamp America's ailing road and rail networks to create a competitive, 21st century solution. What we need is a more modern, balanced transportation system that offers people choices, so they can enjoy the freedom of being able to travel shorter distances or less often by car.
- Less Driving, More Saving
The Economic Benefits of Cutting Car Travel
- The commonly held belief that more driving fosters economic growth is simply a myth. Fortunately, the fact that the two are not linked is good news for our pocketbooks, our commutes, and our environment. Efforts to cut driving and reduce traffic are most definitely good for the economy. When we look at efforts to both make our transportation system more efficient—using carpool lanes or more transit—and change land use to reduce theneed to drive—via transit-friendly development and walkable neighborhoods—we see that the economic benefits are significant. Get document in pdf.
Documents Tagged transit in All Sections
- Federal Transportation Bill Should Cut Oil, Boost Economy
NRDC's Federal Transportation Policy Director Deron Lovaas testified before the House Transportation Committee on March 30, 2011, laying out the ways that upcoming federal transportation legislation can cut our addition to oil and boost our economy at the same time. Lovaas recommended that lawmakers focus on
1) investing in rail, transit, and other strategies that cut oil use and congestion;Get document in pdf.
2) prioritize maintenance and rehabilitation of the rest of our existing transportation system; and
3) leveraging innovative financing tools and performance standards to make the most of taxpayer dollars.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Get Updates and Alerts
- Pope's Climate Week visit adds imperative to the growing progress on climate
- posted by Amanda Eaken, 9/24/15
- Study: Electric Vehicles Can Dramatically Reduce Carbon Pollution from Transportation, and Improve Air Quality
- posted by Luke Tonachel, 9/17/15
- Here's how we can cut petroleum dependence: use the Transportation Special Session to give Californians real transportation choices
- posted by Amanda Eaken, 9/11/15