Environmental Issues: Water
All Documents in Water Tagged oceans
- California Snowpack and the Drought
- Snowpack, vital to California's water supply, has long replenished the state's reservoirs naturally in advance of the dry summer and fall months. Snowpack normally provides one-third of the water used by California's cities and farms each year. But if drought conditions persist, 2014's April snowpack measurements could be among the lowest since state snow surveys began in 1930.
Documents Tagged oceans in All Sections
- Protecting the Mid-Atlantic's Deep Sea Ecosystems
- The Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council, which manages U.S. fisheries resources in the region, is currently developing a plan to protect deep-sea coral communities off the Mid-Atlantic coast from fishing gear damage.
- Improving the Science and Management of Data-Limited Fisheries
An Evaluation of Current Methods and Recommended Approaches
- In January 2014, the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) convened a group of experts to evaluate and seek to improve current methods for managing data-limited fisheries through an in-depth exchange of practical experiences combined with quantitative analyses and newly-developed tools.
- Successfully Rebuilding American Fisheries Under the Magnuson-Stevens Act
- The Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act is working to protect and rebuild America's ocean fish populations. Rebounding fish populations create jobs, support coastal economies, repair damaged marine ecosystems, provide increased recreational fishing opportunities and supply fresh, local seafood.
- Help Protect Our Ocean for the Future
- The Mid-Atlantic States' ocean waters face growing challenges, from pollution to loss of habitat and sometimes competing industrial uses. The offshore waters serve as migratory corridors for much ocean life, including endangered North Atlantic right whales, sea turtles and many fish species, yet they are an increasingly busy place.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
Water on Switchboard
NRDC experts write about water efficiency, green infrastructure and climate on the NRDC blog.
Recent Water Posts
- New Public Polling Research Shows Americans Want Clean Water Safeguards
- posted by Jon Devine, 1/22/15
- NY State of State 2015: Time to Go All-In on Clean Energy, Safe Water & Local Food
- posted by Richard Schrader, 1/13/15
- Latin America Green News: record deforestation in Paraguay, renewables in Nicaragua, World Bank suggests carbon tax for Peru
- posted by Maria Martinez, 1/12/15
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.