Environmental Issues: Water
All Documents in Water Tagged livestock
- Hotter and Drier
The West's Changed Climate
- Human activities are already changing the climate of the American West. This report by the Rocky Mountain Climate Organization (RMCO) and the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) shows how the West is being affected more by a changed climate than any other part of the United States outside of Alaska. Embracing available solutions at all levels of government is critical to minimizing further disruption of this region’s climate and economy.
Documents Tagged livestock in All Sections
- Saving Antibiotics
Food, Farm Animals, and Drugs
- Antibiotics are not necessary for livestock production but they are essential to modern medicine. Find out why they are used on farms, the problems they pose and what you can do to keep you and your family healthy.
- Playing Chicken with Antibiotics
Previously Undisclosed FDA Documents Show Antibiotic Feed Additives Don't Meet the Agency's Own Safety Standards
- Between 2001 and 2010, the FDA quietly reviewed the safety of 30 penicillin and tetracycline antibiotic feed additives approved for "nontherapeutic use". FDA's scientific reviewers' findings show that none of these products would likely be approvable as new additives for nontherapeutic livestock use if submitted today, under current FDA guidelines.
- Wild Things
- Progressive ranchers are rejecting the old practice of slaughtering large carnivores to protect livestock. Instead, they are using new technology and old methods of animal husbandry to coexist with carnivores.
- Reform Wildlife Services' Predator Control
Why does the government continue to kill public wildlife for private interests?
- Wildlife Services spends over $100 million annually to kill more than one million animals. Some of its work, such as preventing bird strikes at airports and controlling the spread of rabies, benefits the public interest, but its current predator control program damages the environment and wastes taxpayer dollars.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
Water on Switchboard
NRDC experts write about water efficiency, green infrastructure and climate on the NRDC blog.
Recent Water Posts
- Latin America Green News: droughts in Brazil and Chile, Monarch butterfly numbers in Mexico still low, Colombia leading in reforestation efforts
- posted by Maria Martinez, 1/30/15
- Celebrating the International Year of Soils
- posted by Claire O'Connor, 1/30/15
- New Public Polling Research Shows Americans Want Clean Water Safeguards
- posted by Jon Devine, 1/22/15
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.