Environmental Issues: Water
All Documents in Water Tagged case studies
- Pollution Unchecked: A Case Study of Greene County, Pennsylvania
- Southwestern Pennsylvania's Greene County suffers from serious air and water pollution, and cancer rates in the predominantly low-income Appalachian community are substantially higher than state and national averages. This December 2004 report finds that despite the obvious health risks county residents face, state and federal officials have made no significant effort to collect data on possible health effects linked to pollution in Greene County.
- Cost-effective Pollution Prevention in an Industrial Setting
An unlikely partnership between environmentalists and Dow Chemical achieves major pollution reductions.
- An unlikely partnership between environmentalists and Dow Chemical achieves major pollution reductions.
- Preventing Industrial Pollution at its Source
A Final Report of the Michigan Source Reduction Initiative
- This report details a project undertaken by NRDC, Dow Chemical, and a group of five community activists to reduce waste and emissions at Dow's Midland, Michigan, chemical manufacturing plant. The project, begun in late 1996 and completed in April 1999, aimed to achieve reductions in pollution emission through pollution prevention -- manufacturing process improvements that decrease waste before it is generated.
Documents Tagged case studies in All Sections
- Sustainability Achievements of the 2011 NCAA Final Four in Houston, Texas
- In an effort to reduce their carbon footprint, the producers of the NCAA Final Four have integrated ecologically intelligent practices into the event’s planning and production. The paper products and other supplies we have bought and the facilities and services we are relying on have all been selected with a sensitivity towards reducing the threats we all face from global warming, deforestation, toxic wastes, and hazardous chemicals in our water and food. This year the NCAA teamed up with LG Electronics USA, Waste Management, Reliant Park, the City of Houston, George R. Brown Convention Center, and the Natural Resources Defense Council to launch the long journey they need to take to reduce their collective ecological footprint. This document explores their achievements.Get document in pdf.
- Jobs that Build a Better Future
Clean energy investments will create millions of manufacturing jobs and whole new industries
- Investing in clean energy can help heal the environment and boost the American economy.
- Picturing Smart Growth
Visions for Sustainable Communities Across America
Cities and towns across the country are embracing smart growth as a better solution to meet the needs of their growing populations. Smart growth principles accommodate growth and development while saving open space, revitalizing neighborhoods and helping cool the planet. See visions created through photo-editing software for how 70 communities across the country could apply smart growth principles to improve their streets and neighborhoods.
- The NRDC Greening Advisor
- The NRDC Greening Advisor can help any business or organization to reduce the environmental impacts of its operations and events.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
Water on Switchboard
NRDC experts write about water efficiency, green infrastructure and climate on the NRDC blog.
Recent Water Posts
- A Coal Cap in China's Power Sector Can Reduce Air Pollution and Harvest Economic Benefits
- posted by Luan Dong, 2/12/15
- Latin America Green News: climate change impacts coffee in Bolivia, Bay of Panama Wetland protected, new solar plant in Guatemala
- posted by Maria Martinez, 2/6/15
- Latin America Green News: droughts in Brazil and Chile, Monarch butterfly numbers in Mexico still low, Colombia leading in reforestation efforts
- posted by Maria Martinez, 1/30/15
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.