Environmental Issues: Water
All Documents in Water Tagged bottled water
- Testimony of Mae Wu on Bottled Water
- NRDC Attorney Mae Wu testifies before a Senate subcommittee that the bottled water that millions of Americans drink each day is allowed to contain more toxic chemicals than tap water. Wu calls for testing bottled water and labels that would let the public know what they're actually drinking.
- Bottled Water
- Answers to questions including: Is bottled water safer than tap water? How can I find out where my bottled water comes from? If I drink tap water should I use a filter and what types of filters are most effective?
- Bottled Water
Pure Drink or Pure Hype?
- A petition to the FDA and attached report on the results of NRDC's four-year study of the bottled water industry, including its bacterial and chemical contamination problems. The petition and report find major gaps in bottled water regulation and conclude that bottled water is not necessarily safer than tap water.
- Summary Findings of NRDC's 1999 Bottled Water Report
While bottled water marketing conveys images of purity, inadequate regulations offer no assurance.
- Sales of bottled water have exploded in recent years, largely because of a public perception of purity. But bottled water sold in the United States is not necessarily cleaner or safer than most tap water, according to an NRDC study. There are actions that those who are particularly concerned about the quality of their tap water can take.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
Water on Switchboard
NRDC experts write about water efficiency, green infrastructure and climate on the NRDC blog.
Recent Water Posts
- USAID Releases Water Strategy
- posted by Elizabeth Shope, 5/22/13
- New Draft Fracking Rules Give Industry a Free Pass
- posted by Frances Beinecke, 5/17/13
- Voices for America's Wildlife - Fishermen Know that Protecting Endangered Salmon Protects Fishing Jobs
- posted by Doug Obegi, 5/16/13
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.