Environmental Issues: Water
All Documents in Water Tagged midwest
- Protecting a Shared Future
Assessing and Advancing the Sustainable Management of the Great Lakes through Water Conservation and Efficiency
- The Great Lakes form the largest surface freshwater system on the Earth, containing nearly 20 percent of the world's and 96 percent of the United States’ total supply of fresh surface water. More than 40 million people depend on the Great Lakes for drinking water, fishing, recreation, and commerce, and more than 1.5 million U.S. jobs are directly connected to the region. Although the waters of the Great Lakes are vast, they are not inexhaustible.
- Missing Protection
Polluting the Mississippi River Basin's Small Streams and Wetlands
- Our nation's rivers, streams, and small bodies of water are in danger because of recent interpretations of the Clean Water Act that suggest that many waters historically protected from pollution can now be polluted or destroyed without a permitting process to limit the environmental impact of discharges into the waters. This October 2008 issue paper discusses the changes in relation to the problem of nutrient pollution in the Mississippi River Basin.
Documents Tagged midwest in All Sections
- NRDC's Chicago Office
NRDC's newest office achieves LEED Platinum certification as well as Petal Certification from the Living Building Challenge
- Sustainable design successfully links NRDC's Midwest office to the natural and urban environments, bolstering a sense of environmental stewardship between colleagues, and between the organization and its members, activists and donors.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
Water on Switchboard
NRDC experts write about water efficiency, green infrastructure and climate on the NRDC blog.
Recent Water Posts
- A Coal Cap in China's Power Sector Can Reduce Air Pollution and Harvest Economic Benefits
- posted by Luan Dong, 2/12/15
- Latin America Green News: climate change impacts coffee in Bolivia, Bay of Panama Wetland protected, new solar plant in Guatemala
- posted by Maria Martinez, 2/6/15
- Latin America Green News: droughts in Brazil and Chile, Monarch butterfly numbers in Mexico still low, Colombia leading in reforestation efforts
- posted by Maria Martinez, 1/30/15
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.