Environmental Issues: Water
All Documents in Water Tagged ClaireO'Connor
- Climate-Ready Soil
How Cover Crops Can Make Farms More Resilient to Extreme Weather Risks
- NRDC examined the carbon capture and water-holding benefits of soil stewardship methods to increase soil organic matter in the 10 highest-value-producing agricultural states in the United States. This analysis estimates that using cover crops on just half of the acres devoted to the nation's two most ubiquitous crops -- corn and soybeans -- in those top 10 states could help capture more than 19 million metric tons of carbon each year and help soils retain an additional trillion gallons of water.
- Implementation of the Agricultural Water Management Planning Act
70% of California’s Irrigation Districts Fail to Complete Required Agricultural Water Management Plans
- Irrigated agriculture is important to California, and draws upon roughly 80 percent of the state's developed water supplies. The industry produces diverse and important commodities, and employs thousands of people across a broad swath of the state. In recognition of its importance, the Agricultural Water Management Planning Act requires large irrigation districts to create comprehensive plans for their water futures.
- Soil Matters
How the Federal Crop Insurance Program should be reformed to encourage low-risk farming methods with high-reward environmental outcomes
- The Federal Crop Insurance Program (FCIP) is meant to protect farmers in times of weather-related devastation. As climate changes and the harsh realities of extreme weather slam the countryside, federal crop insurance, intended to alleviate risk for farmers, actually drives the agricultural community toward riskier methods and creates less resilient land by encouraging a narrow set of farm practices.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Get Updates and Alerts
Water on Switchboard
NRDC experts write about water efficiency, green infrastructure and climate on the NRDC blog.
Recent Water Posts
- New Report Shows That Healthy Soils Can Help in the Fight Against Climate Change
- posted by Ben Chou, 11/19/15
- Making Sense of the Clean Water Rule is Easy
- posted by Jon Devine, 11/17/15
- Not In Our National Interest
- posted by Rhea Suh, 11/6/15
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.