Environmental Issues: Water
All Documents in Water Tagged livestock farms
- Facts about Pollution from Livestock Farms
- Facts and figures about pollution from factory farms, which produce staggering amounts of animal wastes that pollute the environment and do serious harm to humans, fish and ecosystems.
- Pollution from Giant Livestock Farms Threatens Public Health
Waste lagoons and manure sprayfields -- two widespread and environmentally hazardous technologies -- are poorly regulated.
- Factory farms -- giant livestock farms that house thousands of cows, chickens or pigs -- produce staggering amounts of animal wastes. These wastes are often stored and used in ways that expose people to dangerous bacteria, toxic gases and other hazardous substances, and punish the natural environment.
- Clean Water at Risk: An Assessment of Bush Administration Water Protection Rollbacks
- An October 2002 NRDC report -- issued on the 30th anniversary of the passage of the Clean Water Act -- that assesses the impact this landmark environmental law has had on the safety and environmental health of the nation’s waterways and documents the Bush administration's sustained attack on clean water protections.
- Cesspools of Shame
How Factory Farm Lagoons and Sprayfields Threaten Environmental and Public Health
- This July 2001 report from NRDC and the Clean Water Network documents how animal waste from factory farms threatens human health and our nation's rivers. Most factory farms store animal waste in open lagoons as large as several football fields. Lagoons routinely burst, sending millions of gallons of manure into waterways and spreading microbes that can cause gastroenteritis, fevers, kidney failure, and death.
Documents Tagged livestock farms in All Sections
- Renewable Energy for America
Harvesting the Benefits of Clean, Local, Renewable Energy
- This guide for farmers and agricultural communities on the economic benefits of investment in renewable energy includes maps showing both existing renewable energy facilities and potential for development of renewable resources.
- Calling on Foster Farms to Demonstrate Antibiotic Stewardship in Chicken Operations
- NRDC and more than 30 leading advocates for health, environment, animal welfare and consumer protection asked the chicken giant to disclose its use of antibiotics and pledge to avoid routine use of these drugs to raise its chickens -- a practice that is known to breed antibiotic resistant bacteria.
- America's Animal Factories
How States Fail to Prevent Pollution from Livestock Waste
- A report examining the environmental and health consequences of pollution from industrial livestock farms in 30 states, as well as the widely varying efforts to curtail it.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Get Updates and Alerts
Water on Switchboard
NRDC experts write about water efficiency, green infrastructure and climate on the NRDC blog.
Recent Water Posts
- New Report Shows That Healthy Soils Can Help in the Fight Against Climate Change
- posted by Ben Chou, 11/19/15
- Making Sense of the Clean Water Rule is Easy
- posted by Jon Devine, 11/17/15
- Not In Our National Interest
- posted by Rhea Suh, 11/6/15
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.