Environmental Issues: Urban Solutions
All Documents in Urban Solutions Tagged California
- Communities Tackle Global Warming
A Guide to California’s Sustainable Communities and Climate Protection Act (SB 375)
- California's Sustainable Communities and Climate Protection Act, SB 375, is the nation's first legislation to link transportation and land use planning with global warming. SB 375 is an important step toward a cleaner, healthier, and more prosperous California. Locating housing closer to jobs and transit choices and creating walkable communities can reduce commute times, cut millions of tons of global warming pollution, and improve quality of life.
Documents Tagged California in All Sections
- AB 32 Status Report
California Hitting Clean Energy Targets
- California has a track record of implementing pioneering clean energy policies that provide direct economic and public health benefits to the state's residents. AB 32, the Global Warming Solutions Act of 2006, continues this legacy by committing California to reducing greenhouse gas emissions to 1990 levels by 2020 -- roughly a 20 percent reduction -- through a suite of complementary policies.
- Enforcement Technology Options for California Marine Protected Areas
- California's marine protected area network made the state a national leader in ocean management and put it in a position to drive national policy on enforcement and compliance. Yet it currently trails Oregon and Washington in the use of up-to-date electronic systems for managing citations.
- West Coast Tar Sands Invasion
- The West Coast could soon become a destination for huge volumes of tar sands crude oil -- one of the world's dirtiest fuels -- setting back efforts to combat climate change and exposing communities to significant new health and environmental risks. Call it a tar sands invasion.
- Achieving Clean Fuels Success: How to Meet California’s Low Carbon Fuel Standard
- Over the next ten years, California's Low Carbon Fuel Standard (LCFS), a program requiring the oil industry to cut its carbon pollution and to increase the use of clean fuels, could triple the use of alternative fuels from today's levels.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
Get Updates and Alerts
Kaid Benfield's Blog
Kaid Benfield writes about development, community and the environment on Switchboard.
Kaid's Recent Posts
- New guide from ASLA highlights urban green, literally, in Portland
- posted by Kaid Benfield, 10/27/14
- Compact and connected communities improve public health, says new research
- posted by Kaid Benfield, 10/20/14
- For smart growth, not all urban density is created equal
- posted by Kaid Benfield, 10/6/14
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.