Environmental Issues: Urban Solutions
All Documents in Urban Solutions Tagged climate change
- Getting Back on Track
Climate Change and State Transportation Policy
- With a comprehensive climate bill stalled at the federal level, many are turning to the states to make progress toward reducing carbon emissions. In Getting Back on Track, NRDC examines what states are doing to curb emissions caused by transportation, compares state transportation policy as it affects greenhouse gas emissions, and compares performance across the states.
Documents Tagged climate change in All Sections
- What is the Paris Agreement?
- In December 2015, world leaders met in Paris and adopted an international climate change agreement that requires deeper emissions reduction commitments from all countries, and contains provisions to hold them accountable to their commitments.
- India: Addressing Climate Change and Moving Towards a Low-Carbon Future
- India is an emerging economic powerhouse and global leader. Fueling one of the world's fastest-growing economies, with a 7 percent GDP growth rate, India is now the third largest energy consumer in the world. The Government of India is balancing the need for climate action with rapid development and providing energy for its urbanizing cities and rural villages, including 300 million people without access to modern electricity. To build a low-carbon future and curb climate change, the Indian government has committed to deploy expansive solar and wind energy and adopt a suite of ambitious climate actions. This fact sheet outlines India's plan of action to address climate change in the next 15 years. Get document in pdf.
- Rising Temperatures, Deadly Threat
Preparing Communities in India for Extreme Heat Events
- Extreme heat events already have had a significant impact in India, where summer temperatures are historically high. Coordinated action is needed among the many government departments and organizations to reduce the devastating health effects of heat stress on local populations. Ahmedabad is leading as the first Indian city to create a comprehensive early warning system and preparedness plan for extreme heat events.
- FEMA Assistance Grants
- In January 2015, an executive order from President Obama updated the flood protection standard that determines whether projects in or near floodplains or along coastlines receive federal funding. As sea levels rise with climate change, we can no longer estimate flood risk using historical experience; so-called "100-year floods" now happen much more frequently than once a century.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
Get Updates and Alerts
Kaid Benfield's Blog
Kaid Benfield writes about development, community and the environment on Switchboard.
Kaid's Recent Posts
- New guide from ASLA highlights urban green, literally, in Portland
- posted by Kaid Benfield, 10/27/14
- Compact and connected communities improve public health, says new research
- posted by Kaid Benfield, 10/20/14
- For smart growth, not all urban density is created equal
- posted by Kaid Benfield, 10/6/14
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.