Environmental Issues: Wildlife
All Documents in Wildlife Tagged buffalo
- Sharing the Range
A Place for Wild Bison on Today’s Landscape
- Tens of millions of wild plains bison once roamed the grasslands of North America, but the slaughter of the late 1800s so devastated the famous herds that at one time only a few dozen animals remained in the wild, tucked away in a remote valley in Yellowstone National Park. Though they have since bounced back from the brink of extinction, today the vast majority of bison in the United States are raised as livestock on private property. But there is great potential for restoring wild bison to the landscape, and living with bison is possible. The Natural Resources Defense Council believes it is time to recover bison as a wildlife species and give wild bison more habitat—room to roam in the American West. Get document in pdf.
- Crisis for Yellowstone's Buffalo
America’s last wild, free-roaming herd is threatened by “hazing” from ATVs and helicopters
- Every spring, the bison of Yellowstone National Park get "hazed" back into park territory by rangers swooping down in helicopters, on horseback and riding ATVs. Hazing is disruptive and devastating to the buffalo, and many bison, including newborns, are needlessly killed in the process.
Documents Tagged buffalo in All Sections
- Stop the Slaughter
Yellowstone’s Buffalo Herd Must Be Protected
- The Montana Department of Livestock and the National Park Service are killing the thousands of buffalo that roam in Yellowstone National Park, claiming with little evidence that the buffalo could transmit disease to cattle in the area. NRDC is fighting to protect Yellowstone buffalo from senseless killing and to safeguard the park’s wildlife resources for future generations. Get document in pdf.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Protecting Eagles While Working to Guide Wind Development
- posted by Katie Umekubo, 5/20/13
- Healthy Rivers Help Farmers
- posted by Elly Pepper, 5/14/13
- Voices for America's Wildlife - Farmers in the Bay Delta Support Endangered Species Protections (VIDEO)
- posted by Sylvia Fallon, 5/13/13