Environmental Issues: Wildlife
All Documents in Wildlife Tagged Importance of predators
- Non-Lethal Methods to Prevent Conflicts Between Predators and Livestock
- Every year, the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Wildlife Services program kills thousands of predators as a taxpayer-funded subsidy to the livestock industry, using controversial and inhumane methods such as poisons and aerial gunning. Wildlife Services largely ignores the many non-lethal ways to prevent conflicts between predators and livestock. In fact, a small, but growing number of ranchers are turning away from Wildlife Services’ “sledgehammer” approach and emphasizing non-lethal conflict-prevention techniques because they recognize that predators are an integral part of the landscapes where they ranch. Get document in pdf.
- The Ecological Importance of Predators
- Predators have profound effects throughout their ecosystems. Regrettably, the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Wildlife Services ignores the positive role that predators play in their surrounding habitat, and has a long history of persecuting predators, considered competitors for game animals and threats to livestock and agriculture. As a result, in many areas,large predators have been eliminated entirely and most of these species now occupy only a fraction of their historical distribution. Get document in pdf.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Don't Be Fooled: Rep. Hastings & Friends DON'T Care About the Fish & Wildlife Service
- posted by Elly Pepper, 4/9/14
- Wildlife Protections for Bears, Wolves, and Mountain Lions Pass the Illinois Senate Unanimously
- posted by Nick Magrisso, 4/7/14
- Pollinators find a home at the White House
- posted by Sylvia Fallon, 4/7/14