Environmental Issues: Wildlife
All Documents in Wildlife Tagged wild bison
- Sharing the Range
A Place for Wild Bison on Today’s Landscape
- Tens of millions of wild plains bison once roamed the grasslands of North America, but the slaughter of the late 1800s so devastated the famous herds that at one time only a few dozen animals remained in the wild, tucked away in a remote valley in Yellowstone National Park. Though they have since bounced back from the brink of extinction, today the vast majority of bison in the United States are raised as livestock on private property. But there is great potential for restoring wild bison to the landscape, and living with bison is possible. The Natural Resources Defense Council believes it is time to recover bison as a wildlife species and give wild bison more habitat—room to roam in the American West. Get document in pdf.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- New poll: Marcellus region voters prioritize forest conservation over natural gas development
- posted by Amy Mall, 12/4/13
- Give a gift of beauty -- plant milkweed this holiday season
- posted by Sylvia Fallon, 12/3/13
- NRDC calls on EPA to join the EU ban on bee harming pesticides
- posted by Sylvia Fallon, 12/2/13