Environmental Issues: Wildlife
All Documents in Wildlife Tagged wild bison
- Sharing the Range
A Place for Wild Bison on Today’s Landscape
- Tens of millions of wild plains bison once roamed the grasslands of North America, but the slaughter of the late 1800s so devastated the famous herds that at one time only a few dozen animals remained in the wild, tucked away in a remote valley in Yellowstone National Park. Though they have since bounced back from the brink of extinction, today the vast majority of bison in the United States are raised as livestock on private property. But there is great potential for restoring wild bison to the landscape, and living with bison is possible. The Natural Resources Defense Council believes it is time to recover bison as a wildlife species and give wild bison more habitat—room to roam in the American West. Get document in pdf.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Ensuring Yellowstone Grizzly bears are secure - now and in the future
- posted by Sylvia Fallon, 2/28/14
- As monarch butterflies plummet, it's time to rethink the widespread use of our nation's top weedkiller
- posted by Sylvia Fallon, 2/24/14
- New York Bill Would Ban Elephant & Mammoth Ivory Sales!
- posted by Elly Pepper, 2/21/14