Environmental Issues: Wildlife
All Documents in Wildlife Tagged habitat protection
- Wildlife on the Brink
- The Endangered Species Act is the best tool we have to ensure that future generations will inherit a nation of soaring forests, redrock canyons, lumbering grizzlies and tiny songbirds. Without its protections, we risk losing hundreds of species of plants and animals across the nation to pollution and private development. See our photo gallery of endangered wildlife and learn about the terrain they need to survive.
- Keeping Oceans Wild
How Marine Reserves Protect Our Living Seas
- Marine reserves are like national parks, and they are critical to keeping the world's oceans healthy and productive. This NRDC report demonstrates how placing important ocean areas off-limits is already reaping tremendous benefits, and shows how each of us can participate in protecting marine life and habitat for the future.
- Priority Ocean Areas for Protection in the Mid-Atlantic: Findings of NRDC's Marine Habitat Workshop
- In September 2000, NRDC organized a workshop that brought scientists together to identify specific priority ocean areas in the mid-Atlantic for protection. This report summarizes the results of the scientific workshop in order to foster better understanding, management, and protection of marine species and habitat in federal waters of the mid-Atlantic. The report includes maps reflecting priority areas recommended by each participating scientist.
Documents Tagged habitat protection in All Sections
- Ocean Blueprint
Stopping ocean sprawl with smart coastal and marine spatial planning
- Increased ocean activities, if not carried out wisely, will cause "ocean sprawl," further stressing these valuable resources and jeopardizing the food, jobs and recreation we need our oceans to provide. Coastal and marine spatial planning (CMSP) is a common sense process that allocates space in the oceans for various uses, identifying areas in which different uses make sense and other areas where ocean habitat needs protection.
- Reviving Our Oceans
Changing the way we think about and manage our oceans can help avert a crisis.
- Changing the way we think about and manage our oceans can help avert a crisis.
- Florida’s Coastal and Ocean Future
A Blueprint for Economic and Environmental Leadership
- With tourism, fishing, and recreational sport bringing billions of dollars into Florida each year, the coast is Florida's economic engine. This issue paper provides a blueprint for how local leaders and decision makers can -- and must -- take action to protect Florida’s marine and coastal ecosystems.
- Protecting Ocean Habitat from Bottom Trawling
Halting this underwater version of strip-mining in sensitive areas can keep our oceans healthy and full of vibrant marine life.
- Halting this underwater version of strip-mining in sensitive areas can keep our oceans healthy and full of vibrant marine life.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Unique and endangered: Why we need to protect the Gulf of Mexico's Bryde's whales now
- posted by Sylvia Fallon, 9/18/14
- More scientific evidence of risks to wildlife from oil and gas development
- posted by Amy Mall, 9/17/14
- Please Comment on the Montana Wolf Stamp!
- posted by Zack Strong, 8/12/14