Environmental Issues: Wildlife
All Documents in Wildlife Tagged habitat protection
- Wildlife on the Brink
- The Endangered Species Act is the best tool we have to ensure that future generations will inherit a nation of soaring forests, redrock canyons, lumbering grizzlies and tiny songbirds. Without its protections, we risk losing hundreds of species of plants and animals across the nation to pollution and private development. See our photo gallery of endangered wildlife and learn about the terrain they need to survive.
- Keeping Oceans Wild
How Marine Reserves Protect Our Living Seas
- Marine reserves are like national parks, and they are critical to keeping the world's oceans healthy and productive. This NRDC report demonstrates how placing important ocean areas off-limits is already reaping tremendous benefits, and shows how each of us can participate in protecting marine life and habitat for the future.
- Priority Ocean Areas for Protection in the Mid-Atlantic: Findings of NRDC's Marine Habitat Workshop
- In September 2000, NRDC organized a workshop that brought scientists together to identify specific priority ocean areas in the mid-Atlantic for protection. This report summarizes the results of the scientific workshop in order to foster better understanding, management, and protection of marine species and habitat in federal waters of the mid-Atlantic. The report includes maps reflecting priority areas recommended by each participating scientist.
Documents Tagged habitat protection in All Sections
- Protecting Our Mid-Atlantic Ocean for the Future
- The Mid-Atlantic's ocean and coast are a beautiful place to visit, swim and fish. They are an economic powerhouse, contributing billions to the region's gross domestic product and thousands of jobs. But our ocean faces growing challenges, from pollution to loss of habitat and sometimes competing industrial uses. We need to identify areas that are appropriate for use and those that need protection to ensure a healthy ocean for generations to come.
- Reviving Our Oceans
Changing the way we think about and manage our oceans can help avert a crisis.
- Changing the way we think about and manage our oceans can help avert a crisis.
- Florida’s Coastal and Ocean Future
A Blueprint for Economic and Environmental Leadership
- With tourism, fishing, and recreational sport bringing billions of dollars into Florida each year, the coast is Florida's economic engine. This issue paper provides a blueprint for how local leaders and decision makers can -- and must -- take action to protect Florida’s marine and coastal ecosystems.
- Protecting Ocean Habitat from Bottom Trawling
Halting this underwater version of strip-mining in sensitive areas can keep our oceans healthy and full of vibrant marine life.
- Halting this underwater version of strip-mining in sensitive areas can keep our oceans healthy and full of vibrant marine life.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Get Updates and Alerts
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Last Chance for Public Comments on the Tongue River Railroad (the worst idea ever)
- posted by Amanda Jahshan, 7/29/15
- Murkowski's Big Oil Giveaway: Profits Over People
- posted by Franz Matzner, 7/27/15
- FEMA, Floodplains and Fish: Why the National Flood Insurance Program must protect floodplains to improve public safety and safeguard endangered species
- posted by Monty Schmitt, 6/25/15