Environmental Issues: Wildlife
All Documents in Wildlife Tagged overfishing
- Give Swordfish a Break
Conservation campaign helped restore North Atlantic swordfish and provided an example for future efforts.
- After a two-and-a-half-year campaign led by NRDC and SeaWeb to restore swordfish populations in the north Atlantic, the federal government in August 2000 announced measures to protect juvenile north Atlantic swordfish from fishing.
- Lethal Sounds
- Video about Whales and Active Sonar, Narrated by Pierce Brosnan.
- Keeping Oceans Wild
How Marine Reserves Protect Our Living Seas
- Marine reserves are like national parks, and they are critical to keeping the world's oceans healthy and productive. This NRDC report demonstrates how placing important ocean areas off-limits is already reaping tremendous benefits, and shows how each of us can participate in protecting marine life and habitat for the future.
Documents Tagged overfishing in All Sections
- Latin American Wildlands in Danger
U.S. commercial interests are fueling the destruction of some of the world's most vital ecosystems.
- Latin America is home to some of the richest forest and marine ecosystems on earth but U.S. commercial interests are fueling the destruction of these vital wildlands.
- Improving the Science and Management of Data-Limited Fisheries
An Evaluation of Current Methods and Recommended Approaches
- In January 2014, the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) convened a group of experts to evaluate and seek to improve current methods for managing data-limited fisheries through an in-depth exchange of practical experiences combined with quantitative analyses and newly-developed tools.
- Sustainable Seafood Guide
How to choose delicious seafood that’s healthy for you and the environment
- Eating fish can be a smart choice. It's a lean protein with great health benefits. But sometimes fish can be bad for you, and sometimes it's bad for the environment. When you're at the store or ordering in a restaurant, how do you know which seafood to choose? We’ve got advice that tells you what's OK and what to avoid
- Successfully Rebuilding American Fisheries Under the Magnuson-Stevens Act
- The Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act is working to protect and rebuild America's ocean fish populations. Rebounding fish populations create jobs, support coastal economies, repair damaged marine ecosystems, provide increased recreational fishing opportunities and supply fresh, local seafood.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Monarch butterflies can't wait another year - EPA needs to act now
- posted by Sylvia Fallon, 2/27/15
- Let's not shoot the Monarch messenger: Butterflies (and critters) of all kinds need our help
- posted by Sylvia Fallon, 2/26/15
- Proposed Budget Would Cut Funding for Wildlife Services
- posted by Andrew Wetzler, 2/20/15