Environmental Issues: International Issues
All Documents in International Issues Tagged Rio+20
- Global Sustainable Development Post-MDGs
Building a new architecture for a new world
- In terms of negotiated commitments, Rio+20 is perhaps best seen as a starting point rather than an ending point for action on sustainable development, with the true impact of many commitments yet to be felt due to the long implementation times required. The world needs new structures and collaborations to meet the opportunities and challenges of a rapidly changing, interconnected world.
- Fulfilling the Rio+20 Promises
Reviewing Progress since the UN Conference on Sustainable Development
- The June 2012 United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development in Rio de Janeiro, also known as Rio+20, brought together leaders from government, civil society, and the private sector for the most participatory and socially inclusive U.N. conference to date. Rio+20 built upon the commitments made 20 years ago at the first Earth Summit, held in Rio in 1992.
- India at Rio+20: Putting Commitments into Action
- At the upcoming 2012 Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro, India will join over 135 heads of state and thousands of representatives from governments, business, and civil society to discuss sustainable development and the green economy. As a rapidly growing economy that is tackling the pressing challenges of development, India can lead in commitments during the Summit and in their implementation afterward. Working with partners in India, NRDC recommends practical actions to integrate sustainability objectives with economic growth, aligning with India’s priorities to address climate change, energy, food, water, and managing urbanization. India’s leadership, in translating its commitments into actions, is critical to helping the world meet the challenges of building a green economy. Get document in pdf.
- Rio+20 Earth Summit: Media Assets
Media materials for Rio+20
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
Get Updates and Alerts
- The Minamata Convention on Mercury: Contents, Guidance, and Resources
- The Minamata Convention on Mercury is an international treaty that addresses the global problem of mercury pollution.
- China's Budding Environmental Movement
- Attorney Alex Wang talks about what it's like to be in on the ground level of a new environmental movement.
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.