Environmental Issues: Wildlands
All Documents in Wildlands Tagged oil drilling
- Spreading Like Wildfire
Oil and gas leases mean that fracking could occur on tens of millions of acres of U.S. lands
- According to a new NRDC analysis, at the end of 2011, 70 of the largest oil and gas companies operating in the United States held leases covering at least 141 million net acres of American land -- an area approximately the size of California and Florida combined.
Documents Tagged oil drilling in All Sections
- Don't Drill and Drive
Expanding Oil and Gas Drilling to Boost Transportation Funding Doesn't Add Up
- There appears to be bipartisan support in Congress for reauthorizing surface transportation legislation in the coming year, however a major roadblock remains: Finding a way to pay for the infrastructure improvements that America so badly needs. The current tax on gasoline purchases cannot fully cover the costs of repairing and upgrading -- let alone expanding -- our country's vast network of bridges, roads and mass transit systems. Failing to efficiently move people and products around the country hurts America's economy and costs all of us time, money and patience. Recently, Republican leaders in Congress proposed filling the revenue hole in the Highway Trust Fund by using royalty fees from new oil and gas drilling. Linking the highway bill to expanded domestic energy production is not a sensible way to meet the nation's transportation needs. Get document in pdf.
- Domestic Oil Drilling
Still Not a Solution to Rising Gas Prices
- More domestic oil drilling will have no effect on the current spike in gasoline prices. It’s time to move beyond our dependence on oil and seek alternatives such as clean energy and fuel efficiency.
- Our Work in the Gulf
- Since 2005, NRDC has been working to support Gulf communities to protect their health and environment. In the wake of the BP oil disaster, we remain committed to pushing for a full recovery of the rich ecological, cultural, and economic centers in the Gulf of Mexico. Through our Gulf Coast Resource Center we will work to ensure that neither the stories of this disaster nor the lessons we can learn from it are lost.
- Clean Energy: The Solution to Volatile Gas Prices
- Newly updated NRDC analysis shows that the oil savings from clean energy measures can far outpace the potential oil production of drilling in America's protected areas. The real solution to volatile gas prices and oil dependency is a strategy that relies on energy efficiency, clean fuels, and transportation choices such as commuter rail -- not drilling. Get document in pdf.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Q&A: Documentary Filmmaker Ken Burns on National Parks
- Ken Burn spoke to OnEarth about his motivation for his new documentary series on America's national parks.
- In the Canadian Boreal Forest, a Conservation Ethic at Work
- After fighting successfully for years to keep destructive logging, hydropower and mining projects out of their traditional territory, the people of Poplar River are now working to secure permanent protection for their boreal forest homeland.