Environmental Issues: Health
All Documents in Health Tagged tar sands
- Tar Sands Crude Oil: Health Effects of a Dirty and Destructive Fuel
- Crude oil produced from tar sands is one of the world's dirtiest and most environmentally destructive sources of fuel. With more tar sands flowing through pipelines, moving on railcars, and being processed at refineries, there is mounting evidence that people and communities in the vicinity of tar sands activity face substantial health and safety risks.
Documents Tagged tar sands in All Sections
- Climate Impacts of the Keystone XL Tar Sands Pipeline
- The proposed Keystone XL tar sands pipeline would pump up to 830,000 barrels per day of the world's dirtiest oil from Canada's Boreal forest straight through the heart of America's breadbasket to refineries on the Texas Gulf Coast. Building the 875-mile northern segment of Keystone XL would lead to a dramatic increase in the carbon pollution that worsens the effects of climate change.
- Going in Reverse: The Tar Sands Oil Threat to Central Canada and New England
- Canadian pipeline company Enbridge Inc. appears to be reviving a previous pipeline plan that would take tar sands oil to central Canada and New England. Under the plan, the pipeline would carry Canadian tar sands oil, the dirtiest oil on the planet, through some of the most important natural and cultural places in Ontario, Quebec, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine.
- Keystone XL: A Tar Sands Pipeline to Increase Oil Prices
- One of the most misunderstood issues surrounding the proposed Keystone XL tar sands pipeline is the project’s impact on U.S. gasoline prices. Pipeline supporters cite high gasoline prices as a reason to build the project. The truth is that Keystone XL is likely to both decrease the amount of gasoline produced in U.S. refineries for domestic markets, and increase the cost of producing it, leading to even higher prices at the pump. Get document in pdf.
- Voices Against Tar Sands
Real People, Real Stories About How Tar Sands Affects Us
- Big Oil is pushing a web of pipelines from strip-mining of Canada's dirty and costly tar sands from under the Boreal forest. But people on the front lines are speaking out, taking a stand against dirty energy. We’ve captured their stories here to show how Keystone XL and other tar sands pipelines, as well as tar sands extraction and refining will have real impacts, on real people.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Reading, Writing, and ...Toxic Pesticides?
- posted by Miriam Rotkin-Ellman, 8/27/14
- Let's Keep Florida Breathable
- posted by Pamela Rivera, 8/25/14
- Reducing Your Risk - Steps to Limit Your Triclosan Exposure
- posted by Kristi Pullen, 8/13/14