Environmental Issues: Health
All Documents in Health Tagged FDA
- Fix the FDA
- In recent years, the Food and Drug Administration has been plagued by scandalous mistakes that have shaken public confidence. Significant reforms are needed to restore the FDA's mission to protect public health.
Documents Tagged FDA in All Sections
- Generally Recognized as Secret
Chemicals Added to Food in the United States
- Based on a law passed in 1958, chemical manufacturers routinely take advantage of the "GRAS exemption", a loophole meant for obvious situations in which a chemical's use was "generally recognized as safe." The industry uses the exemption to make their own decisions that their newest chemicals are safe, often without so much as notifying the FDA -- and putting consumers' health at risk.
- Playing Chicken with Antibiotics
Previously Undisclosed FDA Documents Show Antibiotic Feed Additives Don't Meet the Agency's Own Safety Standards
- Between 2001 and 2010, the FDA quietly reviewed the safety of 30 penicillin and tetracycline antibiotic feed additives approved for "nontherapeutic use". FDA's scientific reviewers' findings show that none of these products would likely be approvable as new additives for nontherapeutic livestock use if submitted today, under current FDA guidelines.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Get Updates and Alerts
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- When water hurts - in Flint and beyond
- posted by Kristi Pullen, 2/1/16
- Why I am a fan of Carbon Disclosure Project's latest report
- posted by Linda Greer, 1/27/16
- Huge Gas Leak in Porter Ranch: A Sobering Reminder of the Health Threats from Oil and Gas in California
- posted by Miriam Rotkin-Ellman, 1/5/16