Environmental Issues: Health
All Documents in Health Tagged FDA
- Fix the FDA
- In recent years, the Food and Drug Administration has been plagued by scandalous mistakes that have shaken public confidence. Significant reforms are needed to restore the FDA's mission to protect public health.
- The Benefits of Organic Food
Food grown without intensive use of synthetic chemicals is better for the health of people and the environment
- In recent years, many farmers across the United States have abandoned synthetic pesticides, fertilizers and hormones in favor of organic growing methods. The result is healthy, naturally grown food that’s better for our health and the environment.
Documents Tagged FDA in All Sections
- Generally Recognized as Secret
Chemicals Added to Food in the United States
- Based on a law passed in 1958, chemical manufacturers routinely take advantage of the "GRAS exemption", a loophole meant for obvious situations in which a chemical's use was "generally recognized as safe." The industry uses the exemption to make their own decisions that their newest chemicals are safe, often without so much as notifying the FDA -- and putting consumers' health at risk.
- Playing Chicken with Antibiotics
Previously Undisclosed FDA Documents Show Antibiotic Feed Additives Don't Meet the Agency's Own Safety Standards
- Between 2001 and 2010, the FDA quietly reviewed the safety of 30 penicillin and tetracycline antibiotic feed additives approved for "nontherapeutic use". FDA's scientific reviewers' findings show that none of these products would likely be approvable as new additives for nontherapeutic livestock use if submitted today, under current FDA guidelines.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Sign up for NRDC's online newsletter
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- NY High Court's Local Ban Decision is No Basis for Greenlighting Fracking
- posted by Kate Sinding, 7/8/14
- Tar sands operations tainting local foods according to study
- posted by Danielle Droitsch, 7/7/14
- Journal Entries From a Healing Walk Participator
- posted by Denée Reaves, 7/3/14