Environmental Issues: Health
All Documents in Health Tagged livestock
- Saving Antibiotics
Food, Farm Animals, and Drugs
- Antibiotics are not necessary for livestock production but they are essential to modern medicine. Find out why they are used on farms, the problems they pose and what you can do to keep you and your family healthy.
Documents Tagged livestock in All Sections
- Wild Things
- Progressive ranchers are rejecting the old practice of slaughtering large carnivores to protect livestock. Instead, they are using new technology and old methods of animal husbandry to coexist with carnivores.
- Playing Chicken with Antibiotics
Previously Undisclosed FDA Documents Show Antibiotic Feed Additives Don't Meet the Agency's Own Safety Standards
- Between 2001 and 2010, the FDA quietly reviewed the safety of 30 penicillin and tetracycline antibiotic feed additives approved for "nontherapeutic use". FDA's scientific reviewers' findings show that none of these products would likely be approvable as new additives for nontherapeutic livestock use if submitted today, under current FDA guidelines.
- Reform Wildlife Services' Predator Control
Why does the government continue to kill public wildlife for private interests?
- Wildlife Services spends over $100 million annually to kill more than one million animals. Some of its work, such as preventing bird strikes at airports and controlling the spread of rabies, benefits the public interest, but its current predator control program damages the environment and wastes taxpayer dollars.
- Fuzzy Math
Wildlife Services Should Improve Its Economic Analysis of Predator Control
- About 100,000 coyotes, bobcats, foxes, wolves, bears, and mountain lions are killed each year by Wildlife Services, a U.S. Department of Agriculture federal agency. Much of this lethal predator control program is partly justified by economic analyses that are often incomplete, and sometimes incorrect.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Get Updates and Alerts
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- When water hurts - in Flint and beyond
- posted by Kristi Pullen, 2/1/16
- Why I am a fan of Carbon Disclosure Project's latest report
- posted by Linda Greer, 1/27/16
- Huge Gas Leak in Porter Ranch: A Sobering Reminder of the Health Threats from Oil and Gas in California
- posted by Miriam Rotkin-Ellman, 1/5/16