Environmental Issues: Health
All Documents in Health Tagged drilling
- Don't Get Fracked!
Steps to Keep You and Your Family Safe from Drilling
- Drilling for natural gas and the use of hydraulic fracturing is growing across the United States. Although drilling can create jobs and income, many fear the effects of drilling on their health, land and quality of life. Current laws need to be changed to catch up with the drilling explosion. In the meantime, you can act now to protect you and your family.
Documents Tagged drilling in All Sections
- Disaster in the Gulf
- The BP oil rig that exploded killed 11 workers and spewed some 170 million gallons of toxic crude oil into the Gulf of Mexico. Whether we look to habitat and wildlife, employment and pay, or basic health and family welfare, the BP oil blowout has devastated the region.
- Stop Dirty Fuels
- As cheap, plentiful conventional oil becomes a luxury of the past, we now face a choice: to set a course for a more sustainable energy future of clean, renewable fuels, or to develop ever-dirtier sources of transportation fuel derived from fossil fuels -- at an even greater cost to our health and environment. Looking for fuel in all the wrong places puts wildlands, air, water and climate at risk.
- Don't Drill Away the West
Vast stretches of the Western United States are threatened by oil and gas development
- The American West is known for its stunning landscapes, abundant wildlife, rich history and outdoor recreation. But from Montana down to New Mexico, many of these cherished areas are at risk from oil and gas development.
- Environmental Risks with Proposed Offshore Oil and Gas Development off Alaska’s North Slope
- In August 2012, Royal Dutch Shell Oil (Shell) plans to begin exploratory drilling in the Arctic Ocean off Alaska's northern coast. This paper argues that drilling and related industrial activity would create an unacceptable risk of irreparable damage to this unique part of the planet and should be postponed until comprehensive research can be performed and a credible system for responding to spills is put into place.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Get Updates and Alerts
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Subway moves the needle on antibiotics, but many questions remain
- posted by Lena Brook, 9/1/15
- Veterinary association endorses flawed policy allowing misuse of precious antibiotics to raise food animals
- posted by Avinash Kar, 8/26/15
- The White House Gets It Right: Climbing to Energy Efficiency for All
- posted by Deron Lovaas, 8/24/15