Environmental Issues: Health
All Documents in Health Tagged climate change
- Where There's Fire, There's Smoke
Wildfire Smoke Affects Communities Distant from Deadly Flames
- Even if you don't live in an area prone to wildfires, your health may be threatened by smoke from fires raging in other parts of the country. NRDC analysis shows that about two-thirds of the United States lived in counties affected by smoke conditions in 2011. And climate change will make matters worse: hotter temperatures and longer dry seasons in summer create conditions that can lead to more frequent wildfires.
Documents Tagged climate change in All Sections
- What is the Paris Agreement?
- In December 2015, world leaders met in Paris and adopted an international climate change agreement that requires deeper emissions reduction commitments from all countries, and contains provisions to hold them accountable to their commitments.
- India: Addressing Climate Change and Moving Towards a Low-Carbon Future
- India is an emerging economic powerhouse and global leader. Fueling one of the world's fastest-growing economies, with a 7 percent GDP growth rate, India is now the third largest energy consumer in the world. The Government of India is balancing the need for climate action with rapid development and providing energy for its urbanizing cities and rural villages, including 300 million people without access to modern electricity. To build a low-carbon future and curb climate change, the Indian government has committed to deploy expansive solar and wind energy and adopt a suite of ambitious climate actions. This fact sheet outlines India's plan of action to address climate change in the next 15 years. Get document in pdf.
- Rising Temperatures, Deadly Threat
Preparing Communities in India for Extreme Heat Events
- Extreme heat events already have had a significant impact in India, where summer temperatures are historically high. Coordinated action is needed among the many government departments and organizations to reduce the devastating health effects of heat stress on local populations. Ahmedabad is leading as the first Indian city to create a comprehensive early warning system and preparedness plan for extreme heat events.
- FEMA Assistance Grants
- In January 2015, an executive order from President Obama updated the flood protection standard that determines whether projects in or near floodplains or along coastlines receive federal funding. As sea levels rise with climate change, we can no longer estimate flood risk using historical experience; so-called "100-year floods" now happen much more frequently than once a century.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Get Updates and Alerts
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- When water hurts - in Flint and beyond
- posted by Kristi Pullen, 2/1/16
- Why I am a fan of Carbon Disclosure Project's latest report
- posted by Linda Greer, 1/27/16
- Huge Gas Leak in Porter Ranch: A Sobering Reminder of the Health Threats from Oil and Gas in California
- posted by Miriam Rotkin-Ellman, 1/5/16