Environmental Issues: Health
All Documents in Health Tagged fracking
- Air Pollution from Fracking Threatens Public Health and Communities
- While the links between oil and gas extraction and potential health effects are well established, a growing body of new research points to associations between unconventional oil and gas development, specifically fracking, and health threats. Although health discussions, particularly in eastern states, have focused on drinking water contamination, there is mounting evidence for a range of health threats from air pollution as well.
- Drilling in California: Who’s at risk?
- As new drilling and stimulation techniques, including fracking, are heralded as the key to unlocking a new oil boom in California, there is mounting evidence that these technologies, and the expansion of oil and gas development that they enable, threaten public health.
- Don't Get Fracked!
Steps to Keep You and Your Family Safe from Drilling
- Drilling for natural gas and the use of hydraulic fracturing is growing across the United States. Although drilling can create jobs and income, many fear the effects of drilling on their health, land and quality of life. Current laws need to be changed to catch up with the drilling explosion. In the meantime, you can act now to protect you and your family.
Documents Tagged fracking in All Sections
- Fracking's Most Wanted: Lifting the Veil on Oil and Gas Company Spills and Violations
- States need new policies and regulations to ensure that the public can easily find information on violations by companies that drill for oil and gas, and that illegal acts are being recorded.
- Unchecked Fracking Threatens Health, Water Supplies
The rapid expansion of natural gas drilling across the nation endangers human health and the environment.
- The oil and gas industry is seeking to expand natural gas production across the nation, as new technology makes it easier to extract gas from previously inaccessible sites. NRDC supports establishing a fully effective system of safeguards for hydraulic fracturing to protect our health and land and is committed to working with the federal government, states, communities and industry to put these safeguards into place right away.
- Fracking: Community Defense
People are speaking out and standing up
- We are joining the expertise of NRDC's policy and legal teams with the grassroots power of communities facing fracking in New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Illinois and California. Our goals is to strengthen and support the ability of communities to protect themselves by establishing strong legal precedents for local control, helping communities craft effective local laws on fracking.
- Stop the Fracking Attack in North Carolina
- The oil and gas industry is pushing the controversial practice of hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, on states around the country, without sufficient safeguards to protect Americans' drinking water supplies, public health or the environment. Often these states confront a host of potential problems -- from air pollution to water contamination -- as oil and gas companies roll in.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Get Updates and Alerts
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- The Fight Widens: NRDC challenges the approval of the pesticide combination Enlist Duo in nine more states
- posted by Sylvia Fallon, 4/20/15
- A banner day for reducing pollution in China
- posted by Linda Greer, 4/15/15
- Obesity and Environmental Chemicals
- posted by Kristi Pullen, 4/4/15