Environmental Issues: Health
All Documents in Health Tagged antibiotics
- Raising Resistance: Feeding Antibiotics to Healthy Food Animals Breeds Bacteria Dangerous to Human Health
- Bacterial resistance to antibiotics is a major public health crisis, leading to infections that are difficult to treat and sometimes impossible to cure, require longer and more expensive hospital stays, and are more likely to be fatal. At the same time, the development of new antibiotics has slowed to a trickle. In some cases, there are now few or no antibiotics that work to treat drug-resistant bacterial infections. Meanwhile, scientific studies have shown that consumers are exposed to antibiotic-resistant bacteria on their meat and other food. While improper use of antibiotics in the health care sector is a problem, organizations such as the World Health Organization (WHO) recognize that the "overuse and misuse of antibiotics in food animals" is a major source of the antibiotic-resistant bacteria. Curbing inappropriate use of antibiotics is key to maintaining their effectiveness in humans and slowing the growing problem of antibiotic resistance. Get document in pdf.
- Saving Antibiotics
Food, Farm Animals, and Drugs
- Antibiotics are not necessary for livestock production but they are essential to modern medicine. Find out why they are used on farms, the problems they pose and what you can do to keep you and your family healthy.
- Fix the FDA
- In recent years, the Food and Drug Administration has been plagued by scandalous mistakes that have shaken public confidence. Significant reforms are needed to restore the FDA's mission to protect public health.
Documents Tagged antibiotics in All Sections
- Playing Chicken with Antibiotics
Previously Undisclosed FDA Documents Show Antibiotic Feed Additives Don't Meet the Agency's Own Safety Standards
- Between 2001 and 2010, the FDA quietly reviewed the safety of 30 penicillin and tetracycline antibiotic feed additives approved for "nontherapeutic use". FDA's scientific reviewers' findings show that none of these products would likely be approvable as new additives for nontherapeutic livestock use if submitted today, under current FDA guidelines.
- Did Foster Farms Chicken Make you Sick?
Tell us your story and help NRDC stop the spread of drug resistant bacteria.
- Earlier this year, Foster Farms chicken was linked to a Salmonella outbreak that sickened hundreds of people. The Center for Disease Control (CDC) also reported that several outbreak strains were resistant to antibiotics, increasing the chance of complications or treatment failure. Did Foster Farms chicken make you sick? Tell us your story and help NRDC stop the spread of drug resistant bacteria.
- How Clean is Your Kitchen?
- Do you know the facts on food safety and food handling? Are you taking the right steps in your kitchen to protect your family from antibiotic-resistant superbugs? Take this quiz to find out how you would score if a health inspector paid a visit to your kitchen.
For additional policy documents, see the NRDC Document Bank.
For older publications available only in print, click here.
Get Updates and Alerts
NRDC Gets Top Ratings from the Charity Watchdogs
- Charity Navigator awards NRDC its 4-star top rating.
- Worth magazine named NRDC one of America's 100 best charities.
- NRDC meets the highest standards of the Wise Giving Alliance of the Better Business Bureau.
- Will Subway make a 21st century decision on antibiotics in its 50th anniversary year?
- posted by Lena Brook, 6/23/15
- New climate-health report in The Lancet: our opportunity moment is now
- posted by Kim Knowlton, 6/23/15
- Tackling Climate Change Could Be The 21st Century's Greatest Health Opportunity, Medical Journal Report Says
- posted by Susan Casey-Lefkowitz, 6/22/15